1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNBC: Prius worthy of its praise?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by nerfer, Mar 13, 2008.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New article at CNBC on Behind the Wheel, given the headline I was a little skeptical, but he just stuck to the facts. One fact in particular:
    I asked Tom Libby at the Power Information Network how many times Prius has been the fastest selling model since it's debut in late '03. Tom says for the 52 months since it's debut, Prius has been #1 33 out of 52 months. Think about that! More than half the months Prius has been on sale, it's been the fastest selling car in the country.
    (Obviously he's referring to the NWH20 model that debuted for the 2004 model year. Some of those months it was tied with another car.)

Read more here

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm about to get my Six Sigma green belt certification. There's one thing that Six Sigma teaches - in my opinion - above all else: people lie; numbers don't.

If his numbers are the truth and based on repeatable fact, then there is no reason to be upset with the messenger. If people don't like the Prius, that's not my problem nor is it the problem of the hundreds of thousands of Prius owners.

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Numbers don't lie but Six Sigma does.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm... i have to dispute those numbers. i thought the last time i had checked a few years ago, they were on a 31 month streak for shortest time spent on dealer lots... hard to believe they are now just over half...

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok guess i should have read article first... i guess it possible that it was 21 months and not 31 months... still hard to believe though... around here there is little to no dealer stock. i pass by two dealerships all the time and they never have any Priuses unless they hidden in the back... and for some reason, i find that a bit hard to believe

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to J.D.Powers, the average new car sold has been in the marketplace (since introduction or redesign) for only 30 months (couple years ago it was 35 months). People tend not to buy the older styles as much. So the fact that the Prius was #1 in demand for 23 months straight, and 30 out of the first 36 months and it still occasionally hits #1 is pretty remarkable. Not #1 now, but still in top ten apparently, probably has been in top ten since 2003.

Add in that it is now essentially mainstream, I don't think any of the other #1 vehicles has matched the Prius in total sales (they may be in similar high demand but lower volume).

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Six Sigma does not lie, but TQM does.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I never said that I don't fib from time to time to get around hose pesky truth-telling numbers. ;-)

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Up here, we finally have stock of some 07s.