1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNET: Chasing the Toyota Prius' 50-mpg nirvana

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jul 11, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Chasing the Toyota Prius' 50-mpg nirvana | Green Tech - CNET News

Not surprisingly, there are a fair # of comments where people are spouting off the usual misinformation about battery disposal, "environmental damage", Top Gear, "cleanliness" of diesels and adding comparisons to Geo Metros.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just share the facts and data. No need to argue with the nonsense. For example, there is no special "construction" or "disposal" cost on my invoice (nor anyone else.) Plus Ebay shows an active market in salvage Prius parts and vehicles. <grins>

Bob Wilson

3. steviet

steviet New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, exactly what is the plan for the batteries that are in our hybrids once the battery is depleted?

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Part of the reason I was willing to buy my car in 2004 was that I read an article explaining that the environmental care in Japan is much higher than it is here. It made sense since Japan has considerably less square mileage than we do and unlike the States they can't just make another landfill. That tends to be a problem when you live on a series of islands.

For that reason, the Japanese government requires recycling plans for products made in Japan. The Prius is completely recyclable from the bioplastics of the interior parts to the hybrid battery. A depleted battery taken to a Toyota dealer will be returned to Japan where it will be fully recycled.

5. steviet

steviet New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I guess what I'm wondering is how it's 'recycled'. I'll have to look when I get a few more minutes to see if there is any actual information on how this is done.

I'm not arguing that it's worse or better for the environment, cause i don't know. I just think that we don't really know how much is expended mining for it, processing it, and recycling it, we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the fact that it is possible for this to be worse for the environment. My goal has been to lessen my dependence on oil, and if less is put into the atmosphere in the process thats great too.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    steviet, I agree with you. The read was not what I expected. My preconceived idea was the author was going to give a story about how other manufacturers have their work cut out for them ... catching up to the Prius' 50mpg nirvana ... how (old) GM et al would seem to rather waste more money dissing the Prius, than catching up to it ... or how they'd rather have guys like Spinella go write spin about the Sudburry mine (in operation decades prior to the invention of the Prius). In stead, the author states how his authority comes from being a writer for cnet's green tech blog. I'm guessing he prefaces the article so we'll pay attention. After all. He writes for green tech blog.

Finally, he tells about getting a some what stripped 2010, and that he wishes there were more options to chose from ... and he's having a hard time getting 50mpg. But he prefaces that by saying, "I used to drive a stick" ... I suppose, to say he likes to gun it sometimes for that 'power' feel. I went into the read hoping (as steviet was hoping) the author (after all ... he writes for green TECH blog ... thus ought to be able to give the tech behind recycling all the parts of the Gen III at the end of its life expectancy) would go into some interesting detail about recycling the eco-car of all time ... maybe do the recycling talk after the blurb about other manufacturers falling far behind. The recycling data IS out there ... and it IS very incouraging ... perhaps that data ought to be on a PC sticky.

Martin LaMonica's article dissapointed me too. He said there's no waiting list for the Gen III ... then based that off the fact that in his little area of the east cost, the Gen III "doesn't have a waiting list" ... but admits each Gen III is snapped up when it arrives. Too bad the tech writer didn't check the dynamics in other parts of the country / world ... where it seems to be much different. oh well ... hopefully his next article will have a little more substance.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hey,

Let's give the guy a break. He put his own money and family in his own Prius. Unlike the traditional 'automotive' writers who have 'loaner' or 'corporate' Prius to abuse and disabuse, he has 'skin in the game.'

His article reads like a hundred and one 'newbie' posters who just got their Prius and wonder, "What next?" Had he posted the same in the "newbie" forum, we would been courteous and helped him 'learn the tricks.'

Now the comments went "off the scale" with the usual suspects. That is something entirely different and independent of the original author's article. Those aren't the original poster's words.

Have fun with the comments but the article, I've read worse ... we all have who've read 'the skeptic press.' He's got 'skin in the game' so let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bob Wilson

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Brief mention at Toyota.com : Hybrid Synergy View : 2006 : Fall : Battery Q&A and Toyota Help Faq. Also see https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInf...n/techinfo/html/prelogin/docs/priusdisman.pdf.

Off hand, I don't know where are batteries are sent but here's a mention of what's done for Japan:
    TOYOTA: Company > Technology
    TOYOTA: Company > Technology > Establishing a Recycling System

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mr. Green's Web-Only Mailbag - November/December 2007 - Sierra Magazine - Sierra Club

There's a life cycle assessment referenced at Development and Design (got moved) but the link seems to be down now.

Be sure to look at my reply on Cnet and look at http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-news/30974-prius-vs-hummer-exploding-myth.html for all the debunking.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps he's not averaging 50 MPG city since he may have failed to break-in the ICE per Toyota's recommendation -

'avoid extended, constant speed travel for first 621 miles'

Seems a 2,000 mile road trip day after delivery would have broken rule above. I wouldn't do it.

11. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Considering that nickel is rather valuable (compare stainless steel with its nickel alloys to iron), there is strong incentive to recylce it. I don't know how this is done for nickel containing batteries.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a fun video on the subject. :)

2 people like this.
  13. dhs

dhs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My experience in the DC area is 50 MPG in the city is easy....off rush hour. At the worst of rush hour, I spend too much time at stop lights. Also, if the trips are less than 3 miles, you will not average 50 mpg, as the first mile or so is warm up, and the ICE is running.

14. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone took the translation from 1,000km a bit too literally! It's pretty arbitrary, really. They could have said 500 miles just as easily.

I find when following other traffic that most drivers can't keep a constant speed - they're always slightly accelerating between junctions, crests, bends and other hazards. I find that I get a better return from my Gen 2 by trying to hold a constant speed (I don't have cruise control). In doing so, the car seems to be able to run the engine at very low speed, simulating a very high gear.

It's important to remember that the stated fuel economy figures are for driving a specific programme, under specific conditions (and I believe in the US, some figures off the dyno are still discounted by fixed percentages to give more 'realistic' estimates). Your own driving can be better or worse than that estimate. The US testing now incorporates some conditions that cannot occur at the same time, for example both a high-temperature air conditioning use test and a cold temperature running test are combined into one City number.

The EU test is less representative than the US one, for it gives 72.4mpg (imperial) for the Gen 3, 60.3 miles per US gallon. The only major difference, apart from the driving cycle, is now that the fuel used in the EU test is 95 RON compared to the US 87 Road Octane Number fuel (about 91 RON). I haven't seen any suggestions that the EU version actually benefits from higher octane, though; as far as I can tell they're now mechanically identical.

15. steviet

steviet New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the links and info.