1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNET finds Fusion far better than 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Apr 24, 2009.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After seeing the Fusion Hybrid at the 2008 Los Angeles Auto Show, we've wanted to find out how it drives. This week we finally got the chance, and found it one of the best cars coming out this year. In fact, we find it far better than the 2010 Honda Insight or 2010 Toyota Prius. Although it might come up a little short for fuel economy, the driving experience is so much better, while the cabin technology is unparalleled...

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid first look | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

2. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good goin Ford! Economy is actually quite good for a 2.5l car. It's quite big too. I wonder how it will react to being hypermiled?

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A team of drivers, including NASCAR star Carl Edwards and world-record breaking hyper-miler Wayne Gerdes, will attempt to drive an unmodified Ford Fusion Hybrid more than 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas, raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation in the process. The 1,000-Mile Challenge will follow a route from Mount Vernon, Va., to Washington, D.C.
    No modifications
    To cover the 1000 mile distance on only one tank of fuel, the Fusion Hybrid will need to average at least 57 mpg. It would be one thing if Ford were using an experimental test vehicle or a highly modified Fusion not available to the public. According to a press release from Ford, however, the Fusion Hybrid being used in the challenge will be a factory-produced model with no modifications or alterations and will run on regular 87-octane gas.

Ford Examiner: Can a Ford Fusion Hybrid really go 1,000 miles on one tank of gas?

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ford is on the right track. Not just the Fusion Hybrid, but their new engines (3.5L V6) are well received. I have a variant of it on my Mazda CX9. Great engine, smooth, quiet and powerful.
    All they need to do is work on the styling. Take a page or two from Mazda, ok?

I predict that
    Ford will survive -> shed Mercury
    Chrysler will go belly up -> get bought out by Chinese automaker to get a foothold into US market
    GM will be down to Chevy and Caddy. Other brands will be sold (likely Saturn) or closed (like Oldsmobile).

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, I'll go along with that

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm absolutely thrilled that the hybrid fusion is getting such great press. It makes things better for all of us, Prius fanboys or otherwise. Raising consumer expectations for technology and efficiency in cars will propel the alternative energy automotive industry far ahead.

I can't wait to drive one of these.

And I am just giddy at the image of Wayne Gerdes giving Carl Edwards "driving lessons"! How cool is that? Getting NASCAR guys on board with a FE push and supporting hybrids could go a VERY long way image-wise and perception-wise.

This is ALL positive. And I agree, that that instrument cluster is very sweet...though I have a hard time making it the thing that sets the fusion ahead of the 2010.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a better article on the MPG Challenge including the full Ford Press release. Look at the list of drivers/Team members. Almost all Ford Hybrid engineers except for Wayne and Carl Edwards.

Ford believes Fusion Hybrid can get 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas

The 1,000-Mile Challenge team comprises of:

* Wayne Gerdes, the world-record breaking hypermiling champion and founder of www.cleanmpg.com;
    * Carl Edwards, the NASCAR race star who recently bought his own 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid;
    * Sherif Marakby, graduate of Maryland University and Ford hybrid chief engineer;
    * Gil Portalatin, Ford hybrid applications manager and Ford Fusion Hybrid team leader;
    * Tom Rolewicz, one of Ford's top calibration experts and hybrid system expert; and
    * Steve Burke, Ford product expert on hybrid applications

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This can only be good news for the hybrid world (Esp. those who are yearning for a hybrid but refuse to buy Toyota).

9. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Personally, I don't believe any hybrid is as advanced as the Prius, but I wish Ford the best for trying. They have a lot of friends out there in the car world, and I have nothing against them tooting Ford's horn. I hope the Fusion is a success. And I also think they should unload Mercury. As for Chrysler, Jeep should survive--they have a great dealer network and a lot of loyal owners. They need to hybridize.

10. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I say good on Ford. I'm grateful they did not take any bailout funds, and have actually listened to comments about domestic designs. The new Taurus, while taking some styling ques from imports, is a nice looking car.

The Fusion is a great step in reducing fuel usage. Eventually shifting more and more to electric propulsion with the ICE as just a backup or range-extender until power storage (and charging) is up to multiple hundred mile range.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm really looking forward to test driving the Fusion Hybrid. The press it's getting has been phenomenal and it's great to see Ford putting together such a great product. Let's hope the dealerships don't screw it up by putting a $5,000 mark-up over MSRP on the car.

I didn't read the article, but is anyone else wondering how they are going to cover 1,000 miles from Mount Vernon to Washington, DC? Are they going to round-trip it 25 times?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll amend that to add Buick, GM is putting a lot of R&D dollars into several key Buick models. No R&D going into Pontiac, Saturn, GMC, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised with Chevy, Buick & Cadillac.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  14. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    They are going to drive down to Miami first and then back.

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah I didn't get that either lol

LOTS AND LOTS of bumper to bumper traffic on that route too...

GMC stays on for the truck division, I wouldn't be surprised if all the consumer models were sold as Chevys.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The benefits of a FULL power-split hybrid are undeniable. A great implementation like the Fusion hybrid has potential to be a hit like the Prius. The available tax credit should help as well.

FFH also has the potential to convert to PHEV as well. I hope Ford engineers are working on the next generation to reduce fuel consumption in the extreme heat/cold weathers.

17. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Fusion has a nice look about it. It may not be "exciting" or "new" as far as design goes, but it looks good enough to sell. The surprising part to me was the roominess of the Fusion. The head room and leg room are nearly the same as the 2010 Prius (even slightly more room by fractions of inches), and the hip and shoulder room numbers are about an inch wider in front than the Prius and about three inches in the back. The "down" side to it is that the FFH requires 15 more inches in length and 4 inches in width to get, basically, the same room as the Prius. Also, you don't have the same kind of storage and cargo space, because the Fusion doesn't have the hatch.

What I think would be most interesting would be to have a couple 2009s and 2010s shadow this group so that everyone could share mileage results. It seems it could be a valuable and effective comparison between (or among) the vehicles.

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love it when the competition steps up and actually delivers! It is definately a step forward for all of us regardless of anyones brand loyalty. :)

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    After reading the article(s) I didn't get the "far better than 2010 Prius" opinion. Fuel is a scare commodity. Its acquisition, a matter of national defense. The car that saves the most fuel isn't far better, because it doesn't reach max speed limits as quick, nor does it let you dive into turns at a greater danger level with no consequences. So CNET really really rates some features higher than others. Ok then, bring on the $10/gallon gas, if that's not what counts.

Fusion IS a great ride, and I hope Ford too, will be able to someday tout 50mpg with equal roominess & goodies of the new Prius. Not bad Prius ... when your own mpg's are the bench mark you have to brag about beating. I guess CNET's logic requires that they find Ford's Expedition far better then Ford's little hybrid SUV ... because the Expedition has more power and roominess. Good luck w/ that CNET.
    ;)

20. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    hurah fo ford but i must admit im taken with ptius and a little more than protective of my silver baby