1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNET - Nissan Leaf

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CNET checks out the Nissan Leaf

LED headlight cluster as standard (so not just the headlights but the indicators too).

Edit: Oh did I mention it has solar panels to charge the car?

1 person likes this.
  2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Damn, I want one!!! That car is the bee's knees. The cat's meow.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for posting that:)
    I am so looking forward to the Leaf coming out!

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    $30,000 with Federal grants bringing it down by as much as $7,000 = a $23 - 25,000 EV!

Wow.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Odd that the solar panel is about half the size of the Prius'. Is it really that expensive to line the roof with it or is it because it'll make the car's centre of gravity higher up? (or maybe issues with hail and other falling objects?)

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Very cool. Maybe I will get one after my Prius wears out. ;)

7. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was wondering the same thing. Why such a small solar panel? will it amount to anything? If the karma fisker which has a full roof solar panel and can only pull in 4 miles over 7 full days of sunshine. I guess it's to combat parasitic battery drain.

If Nissan can trickle charge the battery, why couldn't toyota do the same for the prius?

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We really have no idea what the price will be except that it's supposed to be in the range of a family sedan. Unlike GM, which likes to make false claims and then change them later, Nissan has not mentioned a price.

The optional solar panel on the Prius only produces enough energy to run a tiny fan. A C-cell battery could do that. I suspect that the solar panel on the Leaf is just for show, so they can say they have one. It's size was probably determined by styling rather than function.

Solar panels on cars are for publicity, and that only works because the populace is, by and large, dumber than a box of rocks. They refused to learn science or math in school because "I'm never going to need that stuff," and so now they are incapable of understanding anything more complicated than the ON button on their TV set.

9. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why didn't cnet drive the car? no feed back was given about the powertrain,the interior or open the trunk or hood. maybe they weren't allowed to....

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's CNET, not Car&Driver.
    I am sure when Nissan is ready to have car reviewers take it for a spin they will give a car magazine first crack at it.
    As for the solar panel, I would be shocked if it was for anything more than show (as mentioned by others).

11. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Cnet has reviewed many cars including the tesla roadster and 2010 prius.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. We'll see when the production car arrives and see if the solar panel is still there

Yeah but he said it's for charging the battery, unless

1. he got his facts wrong

2. he meant 12V battery, not the traction battery

3. It's not gonna be on the production car but the idea is that it'll trickle charge the battery

Or shift to neutral ;)

it was mentioned in the video that it was to trickle charge the battery, no? The problem is that it's flat on the rear spoiler. On the Prius, the solar panel is curved slightly so if you face south, you'll get better exposure than a flat panel that's horizontal to the ground.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That might make sense: trickle charge the 12-v battery.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Best of all? The official Nissan Leaf wait list ... you'll be able to sign up in less than a month now (provided you live in one of the half dozen or so states they'll first be selling them in) if you want to be one of the first on your block to have one. Better get your camping gear to get a good spot in line!

;)

15. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why go through all the effort and expense just to trickle charge the 12-v battery? is it because the car will always be on, the computer anyway(so you can remotely tell it to charge)? That makes sense, but it doesn't at the same time. If the Leaf is outside under open sky, it's probably not at a charging station (what gas station doesn't have a canopy?) or if it's at home it will probably be in a garage when it's ready to charge. it could use a little power from the cord itself so the solar panels are still redundant (no matter if it's outside, if it has a cord attached power could come through that).

The comp could stay on if it detects a cord attached or shut off after a certain amount of time of inactivity. Is the HVAC remote aswell?

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Washington is one of the states, but the guy on the phone was not entirely certain whether it would be limited to the coast region, where they are installing charging stations, or whether the entire state would be eligible. So I don't yet know if I'll be able to get one.

My feeling is that the solar panel serves no real purpose, other than to shout "electric!" But maybe they'll have a little tiny exhaust fan like the solar Prius.

You cannot count on it to trickle charge the 12-v battery, because chances are it will seldom be parked in the sun long enough to matter. During an afternoon, you don't need it, and for long-term storage I always park under cover (garage, or covered parking at the airport, to protect from hail or keep snow off). But the exhaust fan is only needed when the car is in direct sunlight, so that makes sense. But I have not heard of a fan in the Nissan, so I think it's just for show.

Just something to have to explain to people "No, it really doesn't do anything." But that's a minor drawback in an otherwise fabulous car.

17. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    the solar panel will do virtually nothing, a standard 39" x 65" panel puts out about 200-220 watts, at peak power, from around 11AM-Noon, if facing directly due south, and at the proper angle. It also costs about $600-700, and puts out about 30-40VDC. no the panel is just for show, or to run a small fan the same way Toyota is doing in the 2010 Prius. Too bad they won't be selling them in Mass, as I already signed up on their website... They did bring it here on their 26 city tour though, and did sign a deal with the state of Mass...

18. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also agree that the solar panel is probably not very useful. I have a friend with a converted EV covered in solar panels, but the panels only charge the batteries enough that over the course of a really sunny day, might add an additional 1 mile of charge.

However, if the car were parked outside for a long period, it would be enough to keep the battery from running itself flat, which could damage the battery. This happens on Prius batteries fairly often when people don't drive them for a year or so.

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If I was going to leave my Prius unused for a year, I'd be parking it in a garage, not out in the sun, rain, snow, and hail. Thus, the PVs would be useless. It would make a lot more sense to put the 12-v on a trickle charge, and run the ICE 2 or 3 times during the year to keep the traction battery charged, if necessary.