1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNN Article on the Quality of American Cars...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    These are my sentements exactly (quoted from article). The problem is that just beeing "as good as" the competition is working on their turf. That's not a good spot to be in. They need to out perform the competition or define their own market. They have one market where they lead, light tractors (sorry I mean trucks)

Why are we so sure they're bad?

Given J.D. Power survey results, and even the "not bad" showings in Consumer Reports data, why do Americans seem so sure that American cars are dross?

Three possible reasons:

Reputation: Toyota has, by now, had a lifetime to cement its reputation among American consumers for nearly fool-proof quality. GM (Research) and Ford (Research) spent nearly as long honing a reputation for not caring much about quality. Things may have improved, but it takes a long time for that to sink in.

Recalls: GM, in particular, has had a problem with headline-making recalls. It's a big company, it sells a lot of vehicles and they share a lot of components. When one of those parts goes wrong, eye-popping numbers of vehicles can be affected. That doesn't mean the vehicles are unreliable. Recalls are a different sort of problem. But it does cause concerns.

Reviews: GM and Ford vehicles haven't always exuded the quality that may have been hiding in there somewhere. Cheap-feeling interior materials, raspy-sounding engines and gap-filled construction didn't give potential buyers the feeling of confidence that even lesser Japanese brands manage to carry off.

Both GM and Ford are making strides in this area, too. Some recent GM and Ford products should go a long way to correcting the image of throwaway construction.

GM and Ford deserve credit for what they've done so far. But American consumers have shown they still need lots more proof.

4. Mystery Squid

See, this sort of echos some of the points malorn makes...

I ask you this:

Is he THAT far off?

:ph34r:

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    To borrow from MS and Jayman, it will be hard for Ford and GM to convince the 'Yota sheeple' to take a look at their products.

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Let's review. Long ago no one would look at Japanese cars.

How did Toyota and Honda change that perception? By making BETTER cars than Detroit.

If Detroit's plan is to make cars 'as good as' Toyota, Honda, and even Hyundai, then they can expect to stop losing market share, someday after the perception sinks in.

That's what happens on a level playing field. Status Quo.

If Detroit wants to gain market share, there is only one way to do that. Make clearly superior products. "Me Too" won't cut it.

Right now the verdict is not yet in on whether Detroit can really make cars that even qualify as 'as good as' the Japanese, but it's looking like they might, in some instances.

Good for them.

Me, I'll still buy the best car I can find, regardless of who makes it.

If Detroit wants my business, they can make that car.

7. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. ralphh

ralphh New Member

Let's review further...I rented a brand new Chevy Trailblazer and it broke down on the highway. We rented a brand new Chevy Uplander and no matter what we did, we couldn't get the air conditioner to cool the car. My father owned a Pontiac and we got rid of it after one year.

Now, we've owned 3 Toyotas in the past and other than a minor recall for the minivan, we have never had a single problem with them.

I am looking at the products we've driven, now with my personal experience, tell me why I should buy a GM car when I've never had a problem with a Toyota?

9. Mystery Squid

Now, I'm not that old (lol), but as I recall, US automakers were on top until the gas crisis in the late 70's, early 80's, whereas that's when I started seeing all sorts of small foreign cars on the road, as opposed to the giant 10' long 70's cars...

I think US automakers have one chance at this: pivot toward ridiculously fuel efficient vehicles NOW. What if Ford or GM came out with an entire line of affordable, quality, electric only, and/or hybrid vehicles, tomorrow?

10. Mystery Squid

Hmm, didn't notice that... That would be my guess too...

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have personally owned 5 GM vehicles, 2 blazers, a venture, a yukon, and a corvette. I have had one warranty repair on all those vehicle and that was a problem with power door on the Venture. All vehicles can have problems, but the facts say that GM and Toyota's warranty repairs per vehicle are almost identical today, and that is real world data. Is there anyone on here that has owned a GM or Ford vehicle and not had problems? We have thousands of satisfied customers, If everyone had the same experience as you did Ralph GM and Ford would not sell any cars and trucks.

12. ralphh

ralphh New Member

My point is that I am now a loyal Toyota customer and will probably be to my dying day. Since I have never had a good experience with GM, I won't even drive onto their lots. I got a bad meal at Baker's Square, so we don't go there anymore. I can say that I have never had a problem with Toyota, so there! :p

13. ralphh

ralphh New Member

And the way GM is ruining their company, soon they will not sell any cars and trucks. I like Ford by the way.

14. Mystery Squid

I have, and still do. By no means am I going to buy exclusively from Toyota. Honestly, with the exception of the Prius, there really isn't a Toyota I like.

However on the GM/Ford side, there ARE cars/trucks I like:

GM:

Various Sierra Trucks
    Yukon

Ford:

F150
    Mustang

:ph34r:

15. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

A fourth reason is the "reverse chicken little" baloney we've heard out of Detroit for the last two decades. They have been claiming they have closed the gap. Oh, not literally, but with clever phrases like "compare our quality to any foriegn car" which doesn't literally claim they are equal--so they don't get sued for false advertising--but they want you to THINK you just heard they are equal.

Then when you drive it or own it and find it is better than before, but still far short of the mark, you stop believing their claims. Now, even if it were true, it will take a long while for it to be believed.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ford builds some great products too. Actually Naterprius mentioned urgency on Toyota's part in an earlier post, it has not reached the public but over the last 6 months GM has shoen a great degree of urgency to the dealers but Ford still seems to be lost.

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You are right, perception in the auto industry is usually 3-5 years behind reality.

18. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Lastly, can someone explain to me the gap between, say Buick (163) and Pontiac (245)? (Same question for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury).

Underneath, they are the same car. Platform sharing, engine sharing, transmission sharing... the difference is in the gingerbread, not the bones.

A differently shaped plastic dashboard doesn't change reliability. How can they be that different?

19. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree. Toyota's line-up after the prius is week. The Taco truck is a joke (look at the FE). I think the Camry Hybrid will make my list but it's still not that cool

That said I don't think GM has any car (that is not crushed) that I'm interested in. As for Ford, I like thier Hybrid system and since they are pushing it harder I think they will soon have interesting hybrid cars. I was considering the Hybrid Explorer but it just wasn't as cool as the Prius. They seem to have very solid hybrid technology (maybe better then Honda) so I think/hope/wish they come out with a true FE car soon. I could see a restyled Focus Wagon Hybrid being a hit!

20. ralphh

ralphh New Member

I would say that I would buy a Chrysler, now I don't know if you consider them a German company now, but we never had a major problem with them.