1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNN Help in DC ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mixoso, Apr 21, 2006.

1. mixoso

mixoso New Member

Hey there,

I am a producer at CNN in Washington and we are working on this story about hybrid backlash. Has anyone every flipped you off, or made any comments when you are driving solo in the HOV lanes?? Any thoughts?? Pleasse feel free to email me directly

Thanks for your time!!

Jim
    [email protected]

2. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

Your kidding right??? In my week or so of driving the Prius around Philadelphia I get nothing but thumbs up at red lights and stop signs, or is that the middle finger their giving me :D

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to clarify your request, lest you get pummled with hundreds of replies:
    1)You're asking specifically about DC drivers who have experienced negative reactions in the HOV lanes in DC...correct?

2)Or are you looking for road-rage acts against any hybrid driver anywhere?

4. Scott_W

Scott_W New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 21 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]243143[/snapback]</div>
    Oh great. Another CNN media idiot trying to whip up another negative hybrid story. Is your story also going to mention that 57% of all drivers now consider buying a hybid for a new car?

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scott_W @ Apr 21 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]243149[/snapback]</div>
    And another idiot jumping to conclusions and not giving a guy a chance. You couldn't have worded your post.

"Thanks for your interest in hybrids. Since 57% of people have considered buying a hybrid it's certainly understandable why this would be of interest on your network. Unfortunately the recent trend in the press has been somewhat negatively slanted toward hybrids. Would you mind stating what the intent of your story will be...that might get more of us interested in helping you out."

Would that have been too hard? Just easier to make an unfounded insult at someone who very well could be making a positive story about hybrids, perhaps highlighting one of our own members here at PC and giving an opportunity to allow others to learn about the Prius, PriusChat, and real Prius owners.

Or you can be a jerk, turn the guy off and give him a hell of a good reason to do none of the above. What a brilliant tact you chose.

Jim, please don't think that guy represents even a fraction of our views of the press here at PC.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jim,

Why don't you take a look at this thread:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=18558&hl=

for an idea what brings up this kind of sentiment though...dispite my frustration with how this was brought up in this thread, the sentiment is grounded in fact. It seems like research is an afterthought, if a thought at all in many of these articles...read it in Reuters, then an AP story, then CNN and they all sound the same with the same errors, assumptions and misinformation.

To that end I definately share the frustration with the Press on this issue.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope. Not (yet) on LIE in NY.

Dennis

8. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I think I got flipped off by a CNN report from the auto section this morning... telling to buy a MB diesel to save gas... :lol:

9. Scott_W

Scott_W New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Apr 21 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]243400[/snapback]</div>
    That does it... I'm trading in my Prius for a Corvette (better gas milage) :blink:

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

The Prius is speed capped at 104 mph, does 0 - 60 in 10 - 11 seconds depending on battery charge state, and has impressive 30 - 50 mph times with average battery charge (cannot remember numbers).

So, if there is road rage it clearly has nothing to do with the Prius at all, unless one is questioning jealousy regarding HOV lane usage. And in that regard, people not allowed in can buy Prius if they want to, but choose otherwise.

<<shrug>>
    As far as this Prius *driver* is concerned --
    I personally often have drivers pass me on city streets in order to speed to the upcoming red light. Never rage directed at me though. Coming off a red light, I accelerate slow enough that the car in an adjacent lane one car length back usually pulls even with me by the time we are at cruising speed. This is my driving habit, and has NOTHING to do with the intrinsic car's abilities.

11. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, give this guy a break. He has taken the first step in what I call the "Ask the man who owns one"(*) campaign for reforming media people who never think to visit this site to find out what it's all about. Their primary motive is to create and feed controversy, 'cause that attracts readers/viewers. But by visiting the site and, hopefully browsing the info, they may at least avoid gross misstatements and errors in their diatribes.

(*) The quote is from the old Packard Motor Car slogan, and should be updated to replace man with person.

12. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mixoso @ Apr 21 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]243137[/snapback]</div>

If your are legit, just wanted to let you know that I watched the CNN show last night about the predicted coming energy wars. Awesome show. It's pretty fascinating that a former head of the CIA thinks it is going to be so bad that he put solar panels on his house and bot himself a Prius.

But the most interesting part of the show was how Brazil has attained energy independence by planting huge sugar cane farms and deriving massive amounts of ethanol from it. I was stunned to hear that 40% of the cars in Brazil now run on ethanol only. I hope CNN follows up and asks the Administration why the federal government doesn't do a LOT more to follow Brazil's solution, or even ask the oil company executives why they don't also? It is a total disgrace that we remain slaves to foreign oil, and our hundreds of billions of dollars into the pockets of people who want to kill us.

Gary

13. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mixoso @ Apr 21 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]243137[/snapback]</div>
    I accepted his invitation and sent him the following e-mail:

Please re-visit the site and follow your thread to guage Prius owners reaction to your premise. Also, browse various other threads to gain an understanding of why Prius owners are so enthusiastic about their choice of vehicles and the rewards of ownership.

Please also note the plethora of misinformation that major media organizations have promulgated, typified by Consumers Reports admitted miscalculation in a major article on economy of ownership. (And the usual muted retraction.)

And note also, that the Prius' outstanding economy of ownership arises from the fact that it was designed from the ground up to be an economy hybrid as opposed to many more recent "hybrids" (even some Toyotas) that have had hybrid features grafted onto conventional designs for such effects as power boosting and/or "green appeal."

Further, you might be the first reporter to note that the Prius is officially a mid-size vehicle with interior space comparable to a Camry or Accord and should not be equated to the smaller Corolla for price comparisons. The Prius is loaded with luxury features usually found in high level mid-size cars, but is priced below the national new-car average.

I know my remarks here don't bare on the premise for the article you plan to write, but regard them as food for thought and a possible attention-getting topic wherein you can attract viewers by offering a contrary view to what they have been misled to believe.

Have fun,

Gene Alexander

14. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ Apr 21 2006, 10:46 AM) [snapback]243139[/snapback]</div>

Not CNN, but ABC's Nightline is doing a show on "Hybrid Hostility" right now at 10:40 pm, CST. They are talking a lot about the Prius and about how difficult it is right now to find an available hybrid on dealer's lots. One Toyota dealer said he only has 5 Priuses out of 700 cars on his lot.

Gary
    2006 Prius

15. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mixoso @ Apr 21 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]243137[/snapback]</div>
    Whoops! You've just been scooped by ABC News Nightline.

16. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Got the following reply to my e-mail to Jim Spellman of CNN:

Hey genae,
    Thanks for the reply. I heard back from many owners and no one reportered and kind harrassment from owning a prius so I killed the story.

Thanks
    Jim
    --------------------------
    BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

-----Original Message-----
    To: Spellman, Jim
    Sent: Fri Apr 21 23:13:45 2006
    Subject: Prius Chat ( PriusChat )

mixoso,

End of story.

17. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

So, since the facts didn't fit the headline they want to run, they just drop the story. I guess there's no reason to report that the "hybrid backlash" is a bunch of crap.

18. momfortheenvironment

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Apr 22 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]243794[/snapback]</div>
    yea we should write to this guy and encourage him to take the other angle. Wouldn't it be news for people to hear the great responses people are making to moving to less and hopefully someday no gas usage. Isn't there a story there? I think the american public is disgusted now and this might actually encourage people. maybe I'll write him if someone else doessn't want to-I've still saving for mine.