1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNN or FOX (plus other choices)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eyeguy13, Apr 24, 2006.

?
  1. CNN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. FOX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MSNBC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Comedy Central

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With all the political and religious threads on FHOP, just wondering where most Prius Forum groupies get their news?????

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    CNN no choice here, that is the only channel available at work. since i see the news all day long there, i usually only watch the local news at home

3. priusblue

priusblue New Member

Newspaper (large local city) and some NPR - but these are mostly science podcasts and the short news summary podcasts that I listen to on my commute. I love Science Friday and the Naked Scientists. Not much TV time for me.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusblue @ Apr 24 2006, 07:21 PM) [snapback]244647[/snapback]</div>
    \OOOHH... didnt know podcasts counted.

i am a huge fan of NPR's science friday with ira flato. NOVA science now, TWIT (this week in tech which is more enjoyable than imformative)

5. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Apr 24 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]244650[/snapback]</div>
    Oh - I don't know if they do or not- but that's where I get my "news"

Yeah - Ira's pretty funny when things get a little out of his control. I haven't listened to the other two - I'll have to try them out. I like some of the other NPR ones like health & science, technology, and enviro, but I find them a little annoying, as they tend to overlap alot, and it's hard to "fast forward", especially while driving. I'm starting to see the appeal of the HK drive+play despite the hefty price tag.

6. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get most of my news from CNN.com. I usually listen to All Things Considered on NPR on the way home, and we do watch the NBC evening news most nights.

7. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No TV. None. Zero. Worst news source there is. Absolutely choked with propaganda, and that's the stuff BETWEEN the ads.

So I listen to Pacifica Radio (KPFA in San Francisco/Berkeley) and other public radio, and look at assorted newspaper websites for a bite on the day.

My principal news sources are all periodicals (Issues in Science & Technology, The Progressive, etc. but not Time or Newsweek, which are so ad saturated it casts askance at their credibility) and books, lots of books, more than I actually get around to reading but they're there in my library to discover or seek out when a topic grabs my interest. It ain't "fresh" news, but it's about as close to "accurate" news as is possible to get. Books are where the last truly investigative journalists can be found. And they're the only place "The Rest Of The Story" will ever be found.

Haven't looked at Al Jazeera - have heard good things about it and perhaps that's TV news that can be stomached, but without a television in the house I probably won't get a chance to check it out.

8. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Apr 24 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]244662[/snapback]</div>

Same here, no TV for the past 10 years. I have a TV set used only for dvd viewing of my choice of entertainment not some corporate decision maker choice that perpetuates moronic cultural indoctrination of mediocrity via programming and selecting crap for our amusement. No satellite, no cable. I support local stand up comedians and theaters instead.

Whenever there is solicitation for re-installment of service, I tell them that I'd like to get one or two GOOD channels, otherwise they can take all those 400+ crap programming and watch themselves. I would be eager to pay them twice as much the current rates as long as the content would be up to par just for one or two channels. "It's not the quantity it's the quality stupid"

For me all news is being derived from internet and press (printed and online), periodicals, streaming audio of NPR, CBC - online + streaming, Deutsche Welle - online + streaming, BBC - online + streaming. Radio Netherlands streaming. TF1 streaming for French take on global affairs and news in France. More then enough to get news on global events and I will check news from many individual countries online periodically either streamed or read. NPR seems to be the only source one could trust for somewhat least biased info on domestic affairs. Blogs and podcasts of environmental and grass roots movements, consumer advocates etc.

CNN, NBC, ABC, FOX etc all the big networks are just another corporate entities that are own by major corporate players like General Electric etc, far from purveying journalistic truth and are controlled by corporate friendly producers that will go after any whistle blowing reporter with vengeance, remember the story of rGBH on FOX? All the lawyers of these networks when confronted in court always are using an excuse to jurors and judges that NEWS is not about TRUTH and is NOT ABOUT MAKING SURE THAT NEWS IS NOT -DISTORTED as there a no laws on the books dictating ethical adherence to the truth. They often claim that NEWS purveying is just an another form of business that shouldn't be scrutinized to some unquestionable moral and ethical parameters, which would ultimately be unfair to the corporation as such entity is treated like an individual in the eyes of the law, everybody has right to lie, in other words we are free to lie and distort and if endusers are stupid enough to believe it, it's their right to do so.

Big networks are corrupting, influencing and intimidating judges with lawyers and nice favors, so many cases known with reporters and journalists trying to stick to their guns but being penalized afterwards by layoffs and long lawsuits, unjust judgments by judges favoring corporations. The effects are acting like a scaring tactic, many reporters will just succumb to shutting up, they too have mortgages and kids in schools, why would they want to defend truth with so many odds against them?

Another aspect of big media is MARKETING, why would I want to expose myself to commercials willingly?
    When every hour of my spare time is limited to 40 minutes of content and 20 minutes of commercials at average.
    Agree no commercial on cable or satellite radio, therefore it's booming, people are tired of marketing BS.

Hey, check a documentary 'Control Room' it's on netflix, all on Al-Jezeera Network, it's eye opening!
    Highly recommended, you can always watch it on your computer.
    :)

9. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dsunman @ Apr 25 2006, 06:56 AM) [snapback]244785[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree with dsunman. It is very frustrating to watch the big network news programs. I should have included in my poll NPR and newspaper but I really was interested in TV.

I get most of my news from NPR, newspaper, and on-line but I do love to watch the Daily Show and the Colbert Report on Comedy Central, Hardball on MSNBC and Meet the Press on NBC.

The key is to use several sources and not one.

I work on a military base and the ONLY channel on base is...you probably guessed it...FOX. I wonder if Tony Snow from FOX will get the new White House Press Secretary job??? Hmmmmmmm.

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

11. Deaden

Deaden New Member

The only "TV-news" I watch is The Daily Show, because it is funny as hell. Otherwise I use the web on a daily basis.

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Deaden @ Apr 25 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]244863[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. During election season I always watch Chris Matthews Hardball and Countdown, though.

But on a daily basis it's The Daily Show and msnbc.com for me.

13. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I like "The Daily Show" as well, although I have to say that I don't think that the latest crop of "correspondents" is as good as the old-timers. And "The Colbert Report" is hilarious.
    To get serious news about what's really going on it the US, though, you have to look abroad- The Guardian, the Independent, BBC, etc.

14. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    CNN for the real news...then comedy central for the irony of the news!!! :D

15. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 25 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]244955[/snapback]</div>
    I'll have to agree...I've been watching the Daily Show for years now and think that the Colbert Report is funnier and more clever.

I love how Colbert hates bears! That cracks me up every time!

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ Apr 25 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]245105[/snapback]</div>
    A professor from Brown that I know (for all you evolution-haters at Priuschat, he's the guy who wrote the biology textbook they put the "warning sticker" on in Georgia) was on the Colbert Report, and he said it was a blast. He prepared by watching the show in advance, so he knew it was irony.