1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNW report reaches major news site

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jiepsie, May 24, 2007.

1. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

There is still hope for journalism. The CNW report has reached the front page of www.nu.nl, THE most popular news site here (all in Dutch, before you run there to read). There is a link on the front page to the latest entry in the "Autoblog" section, and that entry is about the CNW report.

This time the journalist checked his facts, the headline says "Hybrids are not bad [for the environment])!". He talks about all the attention the CNW report has been getting and why. Some of the facts he mentions:
    - The UK paper Daily Mail has pulled its summary of the CNW report
    - The fact that Toyota only uses less than 1% of the nickel produced by the mine in Ontario
    - The fact that the mine has been polluting for decades
    - The assumed longevity of the Hummer (3 times the life of a Prius) is dubious
    - A link to the "Exploding the Myth" article
    And more.

This guy has made it so much easier for me to respond to all the people that tell me about that CNW nonsense. Thanks Vincent!

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice!

I would like for Art to release their data and calculations used in the report so that it can be reviewed for accuracy. Some of the report makes sense but some of it doesn't and I want to see if they make small "igorant" mistakes or glaringly obvious mistakes that would lead one to believe they were being dishonest.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 23 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]448837[/snapback]</div>
    He used to have the Excel spreadsheet up w/numbers but the sheet was password protected so you couldn't view the formulas or search it. See http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...mp;#entry272611.

However, it still gives us no idea how he derived his expected lifetime figures and crazy stuff like the Prius costing $325K to dispose of, a VW Phaeton costing $2.5 million to dispose of and the unreliable Ford Expedition supposedly lasting 284K miles.

4. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 24 2007, 01:19 AM) [snapback]448837[/snapback]</div>
    I hate to keep harping on this, but those numbers make absolutely no sense. If you focus on some odd details (like vehicle lifetime) you give those numbers far more credence than they deserve. They are not just somewhat wrong -- wrong in some details of the calculation -- they are vastly, hugely, two-orders-of-magnitude implausible. They are total, complete nonsense.

If you take the CNW "energy cost per mile" for a mid-range vehicle (about $2.50 per mile), multiply by estimated US total annual vehicle miles (from US DOT), you find that the annual total "energy cost" for US driving, based on the CNW figures, is about 20 times US total spending for all energy for all uses.

This is the macro (economy-wide) statistic that corresponds to the common obsevation that, by the CNW estimate, the lifetime "energy cost" of your Prius is about $330,000, which amounts to $25K purchase price, about $8K in gas, and only about $300,000 un-accounted-for, ie, total bullsh*t.

Alternatively, based on the CNW numbers, about 60% of the entire US GDP is consumed by the "energy cost" of our driving. Again, that's ludicrous.

I can't say it any more strongly -- those numbers are not (just) wrong in the details, they are hugely, absolutely, out-of-this-world incorrect. At some level, it doesn't matter how CNW came up with the numbers, all that matters is that they are vastly too high to be plausible.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ May 24 2007, 06:41 AM) [snapback]448985[/snapback]</div>

I still think there is something to the Prius being a one off model for the most part. I completely understand your point but there has to be some truth to the report. If the thing were 100% BS it would likely put these guys out of business. lol