1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Co-worker Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by molgrips, Aug 29, 2006.

1. molgrips

molgrips Member

I'm posting this in the Main forum because I am interested in as big a sweep of opinion as possible, rather than just the tree-huggers on the environment forum ;)

So a friend of mine likes to vociferously complain about the bad people of the world. Being a fellow Brit, he complains about pretty much everything. On a recent trip to Florida with his family he came back apparently disgusted with the overconsumption of petrol by the American public, driving everywhere in gigantic SUVs. They had two cars at the time, a frugal diesel Vauxhall Safira and a very old Renault Clio, also reasonable. So fair enough, I couldn't fault him too much although he did drive to work instead of taking a train.

A few months after listening to him rant about the disgusting greed of the SUV drivers he has gone and bought a BMW 328. Not the worst gas guzzler around, but certainly quite poor by UK standards, getting about 30mpg. The thing is, he could very easily have bought a diesel BMW with just as much power, or he could have got one with a smaller engine. The 2.8 litre V6 offers him no advantage over a more economical car, he just likes to zoom around.

He claims that as long as half of America is driving around in 15mpg SUVs, it doesn't make any difference what he drives.

Discuss.

2. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 29 2006, 06:20 AM) [snapback]311028[/snapback]</div>
    No.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While you might want this in the main forum, it is certainly not appropriate there and you don't even mention the Prius. I'll move it to Fred's and you can 'discuss' there if you wish...

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 29 2006, 06:20 AM) [snapback]311028[/snapback]</div>
    Hell, I agree...

:lol:

5. molgrips

molgrips Member

Pah, I thought this was a 'discussion' forum... good snub efusco ;) I'll think twice about posting new topics next time. Actually, hardly anyone replies to my topics anyway :unsure:

bisco likes this.
  6. rob_md

rob_md New Member

I'd disagree with him... 100%. That's the mindset that's gotten us where we are now -- blindly doing wrong because everyone does, so why can't I? The same mindset leads people to dump hazardous waste in a creek -- because someone else somewhere is doing it, so why can't I?

I've taken on the mindset of "If we can do better, we should".. and that goes for using less gas/oil to push a car around, less coal to create the same light -- even if the technology to use less energy costs a little more.

It's just the right thing to do ... because I can.

pilotgrrl and bisco like this.
  7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 29 2006, 05:20 AM) [snapback]311028[/snapback]</div>
    "Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" comes to mind but I think there must be much better quotations to support Molgrips.

I'm also reminded of the maverick in Croydon who was in the news during the recent drought because he took a pride in showing his scorn of water restrictions by watering his garden copiously with a hose, which is against the local law. He failed to see that most people saw his attitude as idiotic.

bisco likes this.
  8. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Tell him he's got a point - 'those' gas guzzling American asshats are using twice the gas he is. Don't forget to remind him that there are more than half a million of us driving hybrids, and millions more driving small cars with great mileage. It's his choice to make - he can act like one of those American asshat if he wants to. Don't harp on the subject, just make it plain and simple that he made the choice to be part of the problem.

PS - really, if you want to complain about anything, especially non-Prius related, Fred's is the place to do it. We love to fight things like this out - efusco brought it here so you'd get real discussion instead of "are you sure this belongs here?" posts.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why follow a bad example when you could follow a good one?

Why lower yourself to the lowest common demoninator?

Everything makes a difference. All those little differences add up.

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds like a bit of materialism overriding sound judgment to me. Happens to us all from time to time, he'll probably enjoy the new ride for a few months and then start to question his decision.

Wildkow

p.s. Asshat? I like it! :rolleyes:

p.s.s. Whatever the case your friend can always blame it on Bush. <_<

11. Priapus

Priapus Alter Ego

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 29 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]311054[/snapback]</div>
    Siding with Evan on this one. It's a Fred's topic. Perhaps "Fuel Economy" since we're talking about the consumption of other vehicles. For that matter, perhaps "Other Vehicles." Andyou'd be surprised, I think, if you knew the access stats of hits in the vraious forums. You will get more visibility in Fred's.

Also, just ask your co-worker what has changed. And then remind him that he is exactly like those moronic Americans he hated but a few weeks ago. It's not hypocrisy unless he continues to complain; if he's no longer complaining, then he clearly switched sides. Which means that you now have full permission to hate him in the same way that he used to hate us. Carry on and have fun with it. :)

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't get it, just because he complains about the state of things and about Americans driving around in big SUVs, why shouldn't he purchase a BMW 328 that gets 30MPG? He's still selected an economical car, he hasn't gone out and purchased an Excursion or something like that. He just wants a little fun in his car, no problem with that. The diesels aren't the same.

You only live once, and sometimes you have to do/buy what YOU want.

13. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You want to hear something disgusting? How about how your coworker consumed at least 345 gallons (1305 liters) of fuel just so he could fly from the UK to Orlando to go see Mickey Mouse. That's assuming a family of 3. With a family of 4, he gets credit for 460 gallons (1740 liters).

A 747 consumes 60,000 gallons of fuel to fly from London to Orlando and back. Assuming a full load of 524 people, that's 115 gallons (435 liters) per person.

Those SUVs of those Americans may consume more fuel than his cars, but he more than made up for it with his trip to see Mickey.

14. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 29 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]311129[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure where I found that first, but I saw it a couple of times and decided I liked it too =P

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 29 2006, 05:20 AM) [snapback]311028[/snapback]</div>
    Does he still complain? If so.....

Yes, this would make him a hypocrite.

It's the equivalent of the juvenile whine "But MA, Everyone doesn it."

Can you get your co-workers to join you in nicknaming him "The American"?

16. molgrips

molgrips Member

Oh, he enjoys that. Or Blair, or anyone...!

Not really. 30 is UK mpg remember. There's not really an excuse for driving a car that doesn't get at least 40, or if you can afford it a diesel that does 50. We don't have smog problems and our diesel is much cleaner, so to my mind trading higher NOx and particles is worth it for the reduction in CO2.

He could've got exactly the same car with a smaller engine, but because he wants to zoom around he is making excuses for himself, justifying his petty desires.

Interestingly, he also complains about the fact that many of the people who work here are of rather substantial girth. Losing weight requires a certain amount of denial which he doesn't seem to be able to exercise himself.

Unforunately, they are most likely to congratulate him on a cool car. No-one cares about saving energy in emissions apart from me it seems. One guy is quite environmentally conscious, apart from his cars. He used to drive land rovers everywhere but has now got rid of them. I wonder if it's cos I ribbed him about it? :)

17. njkayaker

njkayaker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Aug 29 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]311365[/snapback]</div>
    The BMW 330D is, apparently, quite nice with excellent performance. Diesels engines drive differently than gasoline but the current diesel engines have excellent driving characteristics.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Aug 29 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]311365[/snapback]</div>
    This comment means that you can't complain about "gas guzzelers".

18. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 30 2006, 02:42 AM) [snapback]311504[/snapback]</div>
    Just because you aren't choking on the smog, you think your higher NOx and other particles are not going into the atmosphere? Where do you think they go? Oh, Spain, perhaps. And isn't NOx part of the problem too ... by destroying the ozone layer, you are accellerating warming, aren't you?

I live at the coast, and never see smog. There's a prevailing breeze that pushes any bad stuff inland. But I know that what I do HERE, even if I can't see it, can harm something over THERE.

The first step is to look at yourself, and try to reduce your harm to the environment. Anyone who DOESN'T do that has no room to criticize someone driving in a SUV. That soccer mom in that 15 MPG SUV who takes her family camping instead of wasting fuel in a jet may be doing better than your friend in the overall scheme of things.

19. NorwoodIV

NorwoodIV New Member

At some level, he has to pay for his choice. Fuel is obviously much more expensive in the UK. His "petty desires" do come with a personal fiscal price.

Citing Americans with their SUVs is just a poor excuse to justify the car he probably wanted all along.

We all draw the line on our environmentalism at some point. Some recycle, some don't. Some eat beef, while others avoid it for the social and environmental costs associated with raising cows.

If he's screaming down the road with whale skin seat covers, and a baby harp seal hat, you can beat him down.

We are going to be okay here. The ozone layer is repairing itself because my wife and her friends no longer use fire extinguisher sized cans of hair spray. Who needs the Montreal Protocol when you have Aqua Net Lite? :blink:

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 30 2006, 05:42 AM) [snapback]311504[/snapback]</div>
    Smug alert!

Petty desires? Oh please. Live your life and just leave your friend alone.