1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coal vs 87 octane

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by eric smith, Oct 29, 2012.

1. eric smith

eric smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I understand the benefit of using electric power in vehicle propulsion, but does it make sense to trade 87 octane unleaded propulsion for coal powered propulsion? Does 13 miles of coal power produce less CO2 emissions than 13 miles of unleaded? For me the obvious advantage is less money out of pocket, but does this advantage come at a greater cost? I traded in a 40 MPG car for my PIP that is on track to get high 60's. Was this EV/HV conversion worth it?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not all your electricity comes from coal, I put in the 20001 zip into How clean is the electricity I use? - Power Profiler | Clean Energy | US EPA and found that 35.4% of the electricity from that area comes from coal and 43% from nuclear.

There are other pollutants from coal burning and auto exhaust besides CO2, which wasn't even classified as a pollutant by the EPA until recently.

See Coal | Clean Energy | US EPA for example and About the Ratings | Green Vehicle Guide | US EPA, for example.

lensovet and schlem like this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    And when you add to that the soldiers lives that hopefully will not be put at risk, the money that is not sent out of the country (increasing our trade deficit as it goes) then yes, I definitely would say it was worth it.
    I for one thank you for increasing your gasoline efficiency 50%:)

4. eric smith

eric smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am a fan of nuclear energy, but does the amount of coal powered energy I am consuming in 13 miles (pure EV) better than 13 miles of hybrid propulsion using unleaded gas?

5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get solar then:D or wind:Dor geothermal:D

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, to steal from someone's signature on mynissanleaf: "No American soldier has ever served on foreign soil to bring electricity to this country."

And from doing some quick math via numbers from Oil: Crude and Petroleum Products - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy - Energy Information Administration, currently about $800 million/day flows out of our country to pay for foreign oil. http://www.greencar.com/articles/vice-admiral-dennis-mcginn-clean-cars-patriotic.php explains some of the national security/geopolitical issues surrounding oil. CIA - The World Factbook shows were most of the world's oil resides.

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lol, power profiler says my energy comes 53% from gas, 14% nuke.....7.3% coal. Does all that gas come from foreign oil?

I have seen a few studies comparing EV to gas vehicles as far as coal vs gasoline. All these studies were out of China, I haven't seen one from a country other than China. They use lots of coal in power production there.

9. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    gas is natural gas, so it almost certainly doesn't come from any oil at all. canadian or american gas fields.

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No, not all, as I recall it is a bit under half of our crude oil comes from foreign countries. That amounts to about 500 Billion of our trade deficit each year and an unknown number of soldier's lives and cost to have our military stabilize the straights of Hormuz and other oil sensitive areas of the world.

The study I linked does exactly what you asked for. It compares electric vs gasoline powered cars.

11. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Go to this EPA site, enter your zip code and pick a plugin car. It'll show you the CO2 emission that includes tailpipe and fuel production emissions. I entered a sample Maryland zip code (20606) and it shows PiP is rated 200 g/mi in your region.

Per EPA, Prius PHV's electricity consumption is 29kWh/100mi. The 2013 Fit EV has the same 29kWh/100mi rating.

Since you are only interested in EV miles vs. gasoline, we can use Fit EV to get the EV emission (no breakdown for PiP). I entered the sample Maryland zip code and picked 2013 Fit EV and it shows 160 gram of CO2 per mile in your region. For reference, a 40 MPG gas car would emit 277 g/mi.

Colorado seem to have the highest coal in the electricity. If I use 80101 zip code, Fit EV would emit 280 g/mi. Even for the worse case emission in the electricity, 29kWh/100mi emission is about the same as 40 MPG gas car.
    In your region, 29kWh/100mi electric miles are cleaner (160 vs 277 g/mi) than 40 MPG gas car. The overall rating for PiP in your region is 200 g/mi so you would be cutting down 77 gram of CO2 per mile.

13. eric smith

eric smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for all the replies, I am certain I made a good decision just wanted to see the numbers.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Eric I live near you and I am somewhat of a EV-skeptic. However, I like PiP's.
    PiP is sort of an EV-lite with best feature being high efficiency gaso engine (HEV).
    EV is a very sensitive topic, as you have already discovered.
    Below are a couple long threads from a while back under Environmental section.
    Bottom line for me, you should view EV mainly as fuel switching away from gasoline to electricity.
    The main purpose of fuel switching is to reduce dependence on petroleum.
    That's a policy preference, not an environmental or economic target, so yes this does lead to the questions: does it make sense environmentally and/or economically?

When I see your quoted high 60's "EPA MPGe" thru my glasses that is really about 50 MPG gaso and about 40-50 MPG fossil fuel equivalents on elec, so you are getting 45-50 MPG fossil fuel equivalents...which is excellent. The somewhat confusing high 60's " EPA MPGe" reflects that you are getting many miles on a few gallons of gasoline, but it does not account for the pounds of coal etc you are using.

Coal power Volt vs. Gas power Prius | PriusChat
    Well-to-wheels analysis of energy use and greenhouse gas emissions of plug-in hybrid EVs | PriusChat

15. eric smith

eric smith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good info, I think the PIP is still a great choice I hope that when I am ready to trade her in 10 yrs from now this technology continues to advance. The less of my hard earned money I can give to "Big Oil" the better!

16. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In the northwest most of our electricity comes from water powered turbines on
    the Columbia River, and we have nooooo shortage of water here believe me.

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  17. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how about the salmon?

lensovet likes this.
  18. Phausto

Phausto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So very correct, not ideal--but the dams are there, c'est la guerre. Notably, one was removed on the Elwha river last year (near Olympic Nat'l Park).
    I try to concentrate on the inexpensive 93% carbon-free electricity and charge the PiP often. Also just signed up to pay a little extra to have the remaining power come from wind/geo/biogas. I really wish my house were as efficient as the car, but perhaps that sentiment is simply due to the relative improvement over the last car (?)
    <NW anecdote>The good news is that the salmon are returning to a lot of rivers and creeks that haven't them in years, including right in Seattle. There are a couple nesting pairs of bald eagles in my neighborhood & it's a happy sight when they have a king in their talons.</NW anecdote>

19. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's a step in the right direction, probably back when the dams were built nobody realized the damage it was doing to the salmon, now there's an awareness.

20. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base