1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

COASTAL DAVE AND HIS *&$#@ING VAPORWARE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Arizona Charlie, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

Vaporware.

In the early days of computers, manufacturers would advertise computer software or hardware products which were not actually available for sale and/or delivery. It was a common practice to tout a product that would soon be available but would not come on the market for six or more months, and sometimes never came on the market for sale. The purpose of this premature advertising was to excite the consumer and keep their attention away from other companies which were developing similar products.

I ordered the auto door lock kit, the power outlet mod, and the navigation kit mod from Coastal Electronic Technologies (coastaltech) over two months ago. I have not yet received one of these products.

Weeks ago I wrote an email to Dave and Kelly asking for a response which was to include a delivery date for the products I had ordered. I also left a message on their 800 number. I have never received a response from them.

I strongly suggest that CoastalDave quit ‘BS’ - ing or misleading us about their products and also to cease advertising products which are not available.

When the stuff Dave is manufacturing is actually available for delivery, that is the time to let us know about it. Also, it is a terrible practice to not return customer phone calls or answer customer inquiries.

I suggest that the moderator of the PriusChat and Priusonline web sites ban Dave from advertising his Vaporware products unless and until they are actually available for delivery.

Arizona Charlie

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither PriusChat nor Priusonline have any power to influence Coastaletech's advertising. They do not advertise on either site. Dave participates, in a very limited manner, at Priusonline, but, AFAIK, does not advertise there.

I do agree that Dave needs to hire some help to maintain better customer communication.

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yup, I think the biggest problem is that his business is basically a home-based business with only what time he can devote to it aside from whatever his "real job" is.

What that means is lengthy delays in communication and confirmation, and not much in the way of progress reports on his products. I understand what the problem is, but I think it's really beginning to damage his reputation and he needs to get on that fast...

If he can't deliver, he's probably better-off turning-off the order form on his website for a while until he's ready to go and to ship promptly.

Dave

4. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I've had an order for the NAV kit since the early months of 2005. I see that he's added functionality for Bluetooth (maybe that's why it's taking longer to produce??)

On the positive side, he's delivered the mud flaps and auto door lock relatively quickly after I placed those orders subsequently. His attention to detail with regard to his full color installation instructions is fantastic.

I agree that Dave is horrible with regards to communication (I've said that repeatedly under similar threads.) I think I've only gotten one email response from them, and only UPS shipment confirmations.

But so far, when you DO get their products, they're good. And, as some have stated, if you can find the product somewhere else, go for it. But if we can't find it elsewhere, we're simply stuck with a good idea. He doesn't charge a credit card until it ships (if he did, I sure would be whistling a different tune!)

Yes, I'm sure he's lost many customers that way. But waiting for my Prius has created a patience in me like no other. It's funny, I no longer seem to need to rush anywhere. As I watch people pass me on the highway, I'm always thinking about the gas I'm saving. My road rage has disappeared (well almost.) I'm simply a calmer, more patient person now. I think that's a good thing.

I can wait a bit longer for Dave's stuff - I just wish he'd hurry up and send me my stuff!

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've ordered the Auto Lock and the NAV Enhancement kit back in April, but have received neither. I did get an email asking if I wanted them shipped together to which I replied, "No." I also can wait for Dave's stuff, but I just wish I knew if they lost my order or it's out of stock (I know the NAV kit is off in the future, but the Auto Lock is another matter). To be honest, they haven't dinged my credit card and I've only made one attempt at email and phone.

6. kartanoman

kartanoman New Member

I'm also waiting for the coveted Nav Enhancement Kit as well as the license plate camera; I placed the order about a week or so ago and fully understand, based on reading the replies here, not to get my hopes up of a quick turnaround as far as him processing the order.

I have to echo dreichla's sentiments here in that I have noticed a tremendous shift in my driving habits since I acquired my Prius this past Saturday. I don't know if it's too early to state that I'm officially a reformed "lead foot," however, I do know that my priorities have changed on the road from getting from point A to point B in record time to seeing how many miles I can squeeze out of a tank of gas ... resulting in a more patient version of myself. If that applies for a lot of folks around here, then it appears that Dave picked the right audience in which to target his products!

Peace!

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah i ordered the Nav kit but never got info on when they will ship. Now they said they upped the price so I gave up. I have not seen a CC charge yet so not too worried.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I received my EV mod and mud flaps promptly. As for the others I too have ordered some time ago. The analogy with vapor ware is reasonable but I also remember the early days of personal computing so if you can't get it from Dave program and build it your self ? Dave is offering me things I have no idea how to do myself. I really don't "need" these things, I want them. Since I don't need them I can wait. I would guess that Dave is not a bad person and would like to get product it out to all of us ASAP. It is not in his interest to withhold them. I would guess that the small business is stressed to the limit and learning many things. I am going to wait it out.

9. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Right, hdrygas. I suppose when Prii were few and far between it was much easier to fill an order quickly. Now as more are on the road, newbies (like me) would say something like "Isn't there a way to get rid of that 'I Agree' screen?" or "I heard about an EV switch, where can I get one?" and the answer is "Go to Coastaltech." Now they're getting overwhelmed.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i ordered my EV switch and have only been waiting a few weeks or so... dont remember how long, but i think its been about a month.

i just downsized my plastic collection and sent him an email letting him know that the card would be invalid and what i needed to do to resubmit with new info and his wife?? answered the next day. so pleased with that.

feeling giddy with the successful correspondence, i ventured to ask her when the estimated ship date would be... unfortunately... no luck at all.

makes me think that are doing the best they can, are tired of reading emails asking them questions that they cant answer, and im in a position that i must just realize that the cutting edge of technology never happened quickly before, and it aint gonna happen quickly now.

guess i should have ordered the switch last summer when everyone else was getting it. of course that was nearly 100,000 Priuses ago.

11. mjaytee

mjaytee Junior Member

I'm sorry to hear about Coastal Dave's service slipping. I'm an old school Prius owner having had my Prius since October 2000 back when it was still a novelty car. In those days they did not come with cruise control.

After making a road trip late 2001 without the cruise control I was desperate to get cruise control in my Prius. I came across Coastal Dave in the Yahoo Prius group. And his cruise control was a godsend.

I had a slight problem during the installation and was able to reach him easily and he very politely talked me through problem. The instructions were spot on. One of my remotes broke, so I called for a replacement. I received it in less than a week. I have nothing but good memories of Coastal Dave. But it looks like the popularity of the Prius may be too much for his operation. Hopefully he will be able to step up his game to meet the demands. His products are great.

12. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It must be frustrating on Dave's part as well. I work in manufacture and have seen things held up because the supplier is out of stock, or there's a 6 week lead time or there's a need to find a new (and hopefully cheaper) supplier.

13. Hatfield

Hatfield New Member

I don't think anyone begrudges the delay so much as the complete unwillingness to respond to emails, phone calls, etc. Really, that's just rude.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i just received notice that they shipped my EV switch so we shall see very soon

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow... that's 2? 3? that have received this shipment's. :( <sigh> still patiently waiting.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i got a tracking number and delivery date is supposed to be 12 July... hmmm... guess its coming by foot

according to UPS it was scanned out of Fl at 8:20 PM 07/01/2005. hard to believe it will take 11 days to get here. hopefully it will be quicker. i expect it by next wed or thurs

17. Hatfield

Hatfield New Member

UPS Ground really blows. I don't know why it takes them so long.

18. seneros

seneros New Member

i placed an order myself when the nav enhance went on presale (months ago) and never received a confirmation or an order number or anything. i came into some family problems and i shelled out a lot of money to pay for some hospital bills, so i emailed them asking to cancel my order. of course, now i get a UPS confirmation saying my order is shipping and will arrive on the 11th... i've emailed them again and no reply still, and I forgot which credit card i put the order on (i have way too many) so i can't figure out if they've charged me yet! i wonder what the return policy is.

:(

19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't worry, you'll probably be able to sell it for a profit.

Nate

20. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    At least they're shipping. That's good.