1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Electronics Tow Hitch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Alnilam, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I put the tow hitch on today and it went easy, The enclosed directions/pictures seemed to be for a different model than the 2006.

All I had to do was remove the bottom-left protective cover (about a foot and a half square) that is held on by a few screws and push-on plugs. Next, remove the two steel vertical tiedown brackets, left and right, two bolts each. (Save the bolts.) Remove the left end of the trailer hitch, (small piece using two bolts,) and mount this in the place where you just removed the left tiedown bracket. Next, reinstall the protective cover. Now connect the rest of the tow hitch assembly. The left end rejoins the piece you had just disconnected and mounted, and the right end mounts in the same holes as the right side tiedown bracket. Don't tighten until all bolts are started in.

If the muffler looks like it is going to rattle against the rack, put the included o-clamp arount the muffler rubber shock mount and tighten it to raise the muffler as needed.

That's it. I did it on a lift but probably could have just slid underneath the car and done it all. Just easier in the air.

I got the 1 1/4 inch version because I own a same-size Thule 4-bike carrier used on another car with a 1 1/4 inch tow hitch. I don't intend to carry more than two bikes on my Prius. I read where the hitch assembly also acts as a frame stiffener but haven't really noticed any real difference in the ride.

Now if I run out of gas AND electricity I can still press on! :p

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree. Installation was a breeze, but it did require a little bit of muscle to hold the hitch while attaching it to the car. Nothing hard; just 30 seconds of sweat.

I recommend that you add a CAP to the end or it will quickly start rusting.