1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Electronic's trailer hitch in Portland Or?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by springer, Sep 9, 2004.

1. springer

springer New Member

Is there anyone out there that has bought and installed a Coastal Electronic trailer hitch. I want to carry a couple of bike on it. Or does any one have a suggestion on a bike rack for an 04 that can be left in the car and not interfere with opening up the rear hatch?

2. eklabbers

eklabbers New Member

I bought one, but haven't installed it yet. I live in Portland as well. I'm planning to buy a 2-bike Saris T-rax rack at Rackattack, hoping that they will install the hitch for me when I buy the rack. Otherwise, I'll have to buy me some jacks and do it myself.

Esther

3. jchu

jchu New Member

I was able to install it without jacking the car. but then again I'm 5'3" 117 lbs. and could reach without jacking the car. Note the back end has slightly more clearance than the front.

4. springer

springer New Member

eklabbers

Thanks for the reply. If you wouldn't mind I would really appreciate seeing your system once you get it installed. I live just a short distance from Rackattack. My wife and I live up above NW 23rd off of Westover. If you want you can email me directly and I'll give you may phone number.

Thanks

5. eklabbers

eklabbers New Member

Thanks jchu for the advice. And springer, I'll contact you as soon as we get around to installing it. I live in SE Portland myself. There's another Prius a few blocks away from my house that has the hitch installed as well, but I don't know if the owner is active on any forums.

Esther

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe you need to put a PriusChat business card under his wiper :)

7. springer

springer New Member

eklabbers

Thanks for the reply Esther. If you ever talk to the person in your neighborhood, would you ask them if I could come over and see their set up. My wife and I are planning on getting a couple of bikes. but before doing that I want to make sure I like the system for the Prius.

Thanks Rick aka springer

8. eklabbers

eklabbers New Member

Will do. This will be a good incentive for me to go out and buy me that rack and install the hitch as soon as possible.

Esther

9. jayjohnson

jayjohnson New Member

Hitch

I installed the hitch about 2 weeks ago and use it with a Hollywood bike rack. I carry 2 bikes and it works fine. The installation is pretty easy and you do not need to jack up the rear end.

10. HybridMotion

HybridMotion New Member

[attachmentid=1957][attachmentid=1956][attachmentid=1956]
    I installed the Coastal hitch on my '04. Recently I bought an '06. I took the hitch off the '04 before trading it in. I plan to put in on the '06 soon.

Re your question about the opening the hatch with a bike rack in the hitch, I discovered that you can do this with a bike rack (at the least the one I have.) If you look at the attched picture, you will see 2 pins. The bottom pin is in the vertical part of the bike rack. If I pull that pin out with bikes on the rack, the rack will go back toward the ground. It's limited in the angle (I think mine goes back to about a 45 degree angle and holds that position without supporting the rack. This leaves both hands free to get into the hatch with plenty of room.

11. JBW

JBW Junior Member

I have read that there are "other sources" for the trailer hitch than Coastal. Can someone please tell me who they are? I am skeptical about ordering from Coastal after all of the "good things" that I have read but need to transport a bike and the hitch mount seems the best otpion.

TIA

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is what my research turned up:
    hitch 1
    hitch 2

Hope it helps. I'll be ordering from one of these two places. Hitch-web has treated me right in the past. I have not dealt with the other.

13. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I used the hitch-web hitch for my 05 and it fit great. For the wiring harness I am using a generic trailer lighting converter from Checker auto. No problems at all.

14. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Both of your sources are for 1.25" receivers. I have strong preference for 2". Are there any other sources for a 2" receiver hitch?

/Jim

15. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Both of your sources are for 1.25" receivers. I have strong preference for 2". Are there any other sources for a 2" receiver hitch?

/Jim

16. JBW

JBW Junior Member

I was just getting ready on 2/7 to ask that same question about the 2". I also prefer the 2". So far I have seen no repsonse to your post.

Barry