1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV installed!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AndyMartin826, Aug 10, 2006.

1. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got the Coastal EV mod set up tonight, I was so stoked when I got the connections right (goofed one of the plugs the first time and couldn't get it to work, tried again and got it). Cool toy, probably won't use it that much as I have seen all of the comments on how it could lower your mileage if you overuse it.

Now, that being said, I have yet to actually get the EV mode to work yet, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same. When I started up and pulled on the cruise control stalk, I heard three beeps and the display read, "Cannot go into EV mode at this time". Just then, the ICE kicked in, so I assumed that I didn't get it quick enough. My SOC was also down to 3 bars, so I thought, I'll just take a little celebratory ride around, let the engine warm up, get my SOC up to 5 or so, and EV this baby back home. Well, even after it had warmed up and my SOC was at 5, I couldn't get it to come on. I stopped on a side street and still couldn't get it to come on. I think it's hooked up right, as I'm guessing that just getting the EV message on the display would prove that I enabled the software, and pulling the crusie stalk is what gets that message so that piece is working at least. Why wouldn't it be coming on?

I found one post that said it wouldn't come on if it was too hot or too cold (sounds like the Goldilocks syndrome, if you ask me...), but that was in April 2005 so I wasn't sure if that was still an issue either. Seeing as that I live near Phoenix, where my temperature gauge read 92 degrees outside (did the ride at 10:30pm...it's a little warm out), could that be keeping it from coming on? I'll try it again in the morning, temperatures should be more like mid-80's on the drive in to work, but kind of a bummer that it wouldn't kick in, was so looking forward to it.

Andy

2. Herb

Herb New Member

I am keen to find out the answers to your questions. I am toying with the idea of ordering the OEM EV button from japanparts.com and installing it.

So far, I have only seen threads explaining that you can go into EV mode in the 1st 7 seconds after you power up the car and I am trying to determine if it is worth adding the EV button.

My commute goes like this: I have about 3 miles from my house to the freeway where I think getting into EV mode would be fine when I leave for work in the morning. I then have about 10 miles of freeway, followed by a few miles of relatively flat and unencumbered 30-35 mph hour driving in which I can easily run without the ICE kicking in. The last leg of my commute is approximately 2-3 miles of crosstown stop and go where i usually see my mileage drop by ~0.4 mpg.

It is that last leg of my commute that I would really like to be able to go into EV mode. As your post states, I am worried that EV mode will not engage for the portion of the commute that I feel I would want it the most.

Is this a misconception on my part?

Herb

3. kkellly

kkellly New Member

got my EV mod from coastal to and have found that i can get it to go into EV after the car has ran for a few minutes. I also thought i had the same problem as you, but now think i was not holding the lever back long enough.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you have it hooked up properly, otherwise you wouldn't get the 'can't go into EV mode' message.

It's always hard, when I'm not right there, to say exactly what the reason is that it wouldn't go into EV, but I suggest trying again, this morning or this afternoon, with a cold start up and see how it goes.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Herb @ Aug 10 2006, 06:38 AM) [snapback]300721[/snapback]</div>
    You probably could use EV mode in that last segment, however some things to think about: Usually, EV mode can only take you about a mile. in stop and go, where you have to start up from nothing a bunch, thats probably less. Also, once the batteries are run down (and they definately will be), the gas engine would kick in to recharge them, even if you aren't moving, thus destroying your mileage. Instead of trying to use it for the entire 2-3 miles of cross town traffic, use it sparringly. Personally, i've found that it's great for forcing the ICE off when it doesn't want to go off. for example, if you've just accellerated with the ICE, but dont' get going to fast, often it won't turn off until you come to a complete stop. the EV mod can help you by letting you turn it off while you're coasting into the red light.

just my two cents

6. Herb

Herb New Member

I have a follow up question:

Since I had the ECM on my '05 flashed as a result of a recall, would the EV kit from CoastalEtech work? I was told by the Toyota technician that the ECU flash upgrade essentially made my ECU a 2006 version. I noticed the sticky on EV kits not working on '06 models...would I be affected?

Herb

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's harder to go into EV mode in the hot summer months. It won't go into EV mode because the battery is too hot. Even if you try in the morning, you may get the 3 beeps since it takes a long time for the battery to cool down without the fan.

Someone needs to make a fan timer mod to have the HV Battery fan keep running for a period of time after the car is off.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Herb @ Aug 10 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]300796[/snapback]</div>
    I've got an '06 and the EV mod from coastal works perfectly for me. so i should think it'll work fine for you, too.

9. BobSoNH

BobSoNH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kkellly @ Aug 10 2006, 08:27 AM) [snapback]300730[/snapback]</div>
    I've had the Coastal Tech EV mod on my '06 for about a month now. Sometimes I have to hold the CC stalk back for up to 10 seconds before EV kicks in. But I use it every day first thing in the morning and it always prevents the ICE from starting. My first 2 miles are down hill, so I don't worry about climbing up my driveway -- I know the battery will charge up to the green by the time I hit the traffic light at the bottom :)

10. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, my update. When I left the garage this morning, I only had 3 bars so I thought I shouldn't really try to get it into EV until I could get it into the 4-5 range. I got it up there after a couple of runs between traffic lights, so as I sat at a light I pulled back on the stalk. I didn't hear anything, didn't get the warning beep, nothing. I went, hmmm, do I have a bad connection somewhere? Light turned green and I accelerated, and low and behold the ICE didn't turn on, stayed on EV. Of course, trying to accelerate from a stoplight knocked my battery down quick, and the acceleration kicked the ICE in anyway, but it worked! I let it charge back up, and EV'ed my way on the last mile or so into the office. Big thing I'll be using it for is going through the parking lot here. I've got a nice long drive back to my building, a low speed through the lot with speed bumps, and sometimes have trouble keeping the EV on normally. Worked like a charm today, so I'm a happy camper.

Thought there was a confirmation of some kind when you switched the EV on, though. I know you get the three beeps when it turns off, but something letting me know it was on would be nice too.

11. akrca4

akrca4 Junior Member

I don't get the message "Cannot go into EV mode at this time". I do get the three beeps and I have '06 Package 1. Anyone experienced the same? Thanks.

12. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(akrca4 @ Aug 15 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]303593[/snapback]</div>
    I believe there are many conditions that restrict EV use when demanded ... high battery temp, low battery temp, low SOC, cold O2 sensor, etc. The response to calling for EV when it's not allowed should be the consistent "three beeps and message", but it's not. Sometimes I don't get the beeps or the message; sometimes I do. The only way to really know if you're in EV mode is to set the MFD to the Consumption screen prior to engaging EV mode. The screen will always change to the Energy screen when you go into EV mode.

13. akrca4

akrca4 Junior Member

I always get the three beeps, but have never gotten the message. I am wondering if it's because I only have package 1? Anyone?

14. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(akrca4 @ Aug 16 2006, 12:50 AM) [snapback]303937[/snapback]</div>
    I only get the three beeps and message together, and that's usually (I think) when I try to engage during the warm-up cycle. Lately, I don't get any message, beeps, or EV mode and I'm guessing because the battery temp is too high.

I like the mod, but it's turning out to be a little finicky/inconsistent. Then I start thinking "Did I really get that pin all the way in?"

15. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. forzaitalia

forzaitalia New Member

I just installed the Coastel EV mod and it was actually sort of hard to do. I have Sirius and there's a box for it right next to the computer where you need to take the plug out for the mod. Hard to get to, but not impossible. Anyway, I finished up and it (to my surprise) worked! Yay.

One question: I don't get any "beeps" when I enter EV Mode. I get 3 "beeps" when I'm exiting the mode. Is this a problem? I thought I read somewhere on here that there was supposed to be a "beep" when EV Mode kicked it.

17. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forzaitalia @ Aug 22 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]307831[/snapback]</div>
    There doesn't seem to be a beep to confirm you're entering EV mode. If you have the MFD on the Consumption screen, it will switch over to the Energy screen when you enable it.

18. IDAHO

IDAHO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Aug 22 2006, 08:03 PM) [snapback]307905[/snapback]</div>
    I have an '06 package 8 and I installed the EV and it works fine.... Make sure you hold the lever back for a few seconds and then it will work... The first few times I didn't hold it long enough...

19. auart

auart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(akrca4 @ Aug 16 2006, 12:50 AM) [snapback]303937[/snapback]</div>
    I have a package #1 Prius and installed the coastal EV and have never gotten any message on the screen....
    I too think it may be that we only have #1 package!
    The EV seems to work, at least for about 1000 feet before I go up a little hill in the neighborhood at 15-20 MPH...Wish it would last longer but the battery gets drained quick.

20. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I bought the Speed Door Lock and the EV mode kits from Coastal. Unfortunately they sold me a defective Speed Door Lock module.

So, once it became clear it was defective (it would lock the doors immediately rather then at 15km, reinstalled twice including one time with a licensed auto mechanic).

I called them, got their machine, left message, no call back.
    I repeated this exercise 13 times - all at various days and times.
    I emailed them 8 times.
    I posted on this board about how I needed their help and had a problem

I got zero replies - nothing - nada - zip.

Note that I was extremely nice and courteous on the phone, so that they would not be 'afraid' to call me back. In the end I begged and pleaded for a simple call back.

Then, I went so far as to order another speed door lock kit from them. I thought it would arrive, we would instal it and then we would send back the defective one. I figured I'd lose the shipping costs but no big deal.

Guess what happened - well since they WERE getting my messages and saw my posts, they didn't ship it.

This means that not only is their customer service terrible, but they purposefully don't call you back and have a policy of problem-avoidance. Ie, once you call with a problem they pretty much blacklist you rather then try to help you.

They make some really cool products (in theory - because they seem cool but might not work). However no matter how cool a product is, with this type of service it's just not worth buying from them. I was going to order the lock pick from them, but now of course that is out of the question.

Today I shipped back the speed door lock and the EV kit, and initiated a chargeback to them via American Express.

It really left me quite displeased.

Be carefull with them, and don't expect any help if you have a problem.