1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jacaufie, Apr 1, 2006.

1. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had the Coastal EV mod installed on my car for a couple of months now and use it on almost every trip I take. I consider it $50 well spent. But recently I had an experience where it refused to engage for several trips.

Here's the scenario: I was doing an experiment on the way home from work yesterday where I stayed in EV mode longer than usual. I knew there was a long hill up ahead and I wanted to see if I could get to the top of the hill in EV mode and then regeneratively charged the battery going down the hill. It was a great plan. Unfortunately, the hill was not long enough or steep enough to give me back much of a SOC and I wound up getting home with only 3 bars of charge. Well, at least I tried.

So I wasn't surprised in the morning when the car didn't go into EV mode after I started it (well, I *was* surprised until I rememberd my failed experiment). Only I didn't get the usual "3 beep" refusal notice - I got nothing but the sound of the ICE starting up. Strange.

I drove my errand and watched my mileage average take the expected hit as the ICE recharged the battery. By the time I got to my destination the SOC was a solid 6 bars. Cool, I though, I'll EV part of my way home. Only once again it refused to engage and once again I got no audio signal of an EV request refusal.

This scenario repeated itself for the next two trips - no EV mode even though the SOC was well above 4 bars. Finally on the fourth trip I called for EV mode and it engage like nothing was ever wrong.

Has anyone observerd anything similar to my experience? I was beginning to think I had a faulty Coastal unit but now I'm wondering if the car's computer was 'punishing' me for abusing the feature.

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Only once have I had an issue with it. I was going under 34MPH, with the car well warmed up (after an hour long trip), with one short of a full battery. It kept refusing to go into EV...however, it did give me the refusal message and beeps.

Only when I have not held the lever long enough has it not worked.

I would say that maybe the Electric motors have a temperature control...and were overheated...but since i t happened to you on multiple trips...????

I have heard of it not going into EV if the temperature is too cold. There may be other "conditions" under which it automatically overrides the EV mode as well (with no warning).

3. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Update: The mod stopped working again this morning. I couldn't get it to engage for two trips so I opened up the mod area and looked around.

I checked the two wire taps and they looked solid. I superstitiously jiggled the wires, reinserted the plug and started the car. EV wouldn't engage. I shut things down and pulled the plug again, this time focusing on the pin that got inserted for the mod. Looked good so I replaced the plug powered-on the car and tried EV mode. Worked, and kept working for the rest of the day.

Sounds like I may have an intermittant contact on the pin. We'll see how long it continues to work.

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jacaufie @ Apr 2 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]234011[/snapback]</div>

That could very well be. When the area around the plug heats up after driving for a little, it may just be giving it enough room to expand, causing your problem.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Apr 1 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]233535[/snapback]</div>
    Not only the MG1 and MG2 but the two inverters and the Battery temp! You may have a loose connection or it may be time to step up to a CAN-View. It is hard to say. I am guessing if the battery is full and you are gliding and not "asking for two much power" that the pin is in but not well in! The more you look into this complex system the more intriguing it becomes... careful you could be sucked in! You have to look at many variables. It is warming up here... not LA warm... you'll would still be bundled up around here but I am getting a few refuses on the basis of temp's and just learning what the parameters are for this. Get a jewelers screwdriver or one from one of those eyeglasses kits and push the pin in a bit further then retest. Keep track of the conditions and temps. Consider a ScanGage or better CAN-View to monitor temps. It all matters.

6. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Apr 3 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]234493[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I'm already hooked on the car. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I tend to agree that the pin is intermittant and I will make an attempt to reseat it ASAP.

I'll also check out the monitors you suggest. You can never have too much information, right?

BTW, the EV-mod is still working.