1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV Mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Rxmxsh, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just installed my EV mod tonight, and it works great! I saw thunder's vid after i had already done mine, but had a question after i saw his. When he tried to activate it, the MFD showed unable to switch to ev mode, or something along those lines. My car only triple beeps with no message on the MFD. Is that normal?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ Apr 13 2007, 10:27 PM) [snapback]423155[/snapback]</div>
    My 2004 does what yours does: Three quick beeps, no message. I think it may be a function of the model year of your Prius. I also think that the Priuses sold in Japan and Europe, which have the EV button standard, show a message. I'm not sure of any of this, except that on my 2004 it is normal to have no message.

Have fun with your EV switch!

3. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I ordered mine last week due in Monday oh boy!!!

but I was under the impression that the 3 beebs sounded when the unit went out of electric mode and not into.
    and the only indication was the mfd goes to the energy screen if it was not there already?

I watched thunders vid and I did not see that message on his mfd.

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 14 2007, 07:32 AM) [snapback]423204[/snapback]</div>
    The three beeps indicate the "EV DENY" condition. This occurs if you try to go into EV mode when the computer thinks you should not, AND when you are in EV mode and the computer takes you out of EV mode.

You are correct that the only indication that you have gone into EV mode is that the MFD switches to the Energy screen (with a single beep). If you are already on the Energy screen, then there is no indication that you are in EV mode, other than that there is no longer an arrow out of the Engine icon.

The CAN-View does show the ICE's mode of operation, but it's a lot harder to put a CAN-View in a 2006 or 2007 than it was for the 2004 and 2005, because the later models use a digital MFD so then the CAN-View requires its own screen.

When you exit EV mode using the switch, there is no indication that you have left EV mode other than an arrow out of the Engine icon, but that will not show if the computer decides to put the car in electric mode.

If you take the car out of EV mode by pressing hard on the accelerator, rather than by using the switch, then you will get the three beeps indicating the EV DENY condition.

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 14 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]423266[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks very clear and percise,
    Now just have to wait till Monday :(

6. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 14 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]423287[/snapback]</div>

Another Coastal E Tech EV mod installed and works just great, I can see the savings already when pulling the prius out of the drive to get the other car out. Then to drive the prius back in the drive , with no gas
    BTW shipping was great and on time with coastal E just as stated in the email.
    Thanks
    Hope the EBH is this easy!!

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a 2005 and it doesn't beep when denied. Just doesn't do anything. When it activates it goes to the Energy Screen and does the triple beep when going out of EV. I'm hoping the connection hasn't come loose after a year.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 16 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]424286[/snapback]</div>
    That's odd. If the behavior has changed in the year since you installed it, that could indicate a problem. But if this is how it's always been, then a loosened connection seems unlikely. Of course, if you put it in all the way, and snapped the connector shut, I don't see how it could loosen.

If you have the Coastal switch, it could be that sometimes you have not held the switch long enough. You'd think the car had denied you, when it really had not been triggered.

It's also possible that the c/c stalk has become defective, and is not always making contact. But if it works some of the time, but NEVER beeps when it denies EV, then I don't know what to say.