1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV Mode trouble...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by homeinvader, May 15, 2006.

1. homeinvader

homeinvader New Member

Just installed my new Coastal EV Mode kit and cannot get it to engage. I read all the posts regarding this mod and didn't see my exact problem.

Install went okay. When I powered up following the instructions, I consistently get 3 beeps, which I understand means the computer is disallowing EV mode for some reason. I have plenty of battery, I've tried it at a stop, coasting at various speeds below 34, all give me 3 beeps. I tried starting up with the CC stalk pulled and I do get 2 beeps, but when I try to drive, the gas engine kicks in. I've tried easing on the gas pedal ever so slightly, but the gas engine always kicks in as if EV mode were not activated at all.

Checked the pins, they seem seated as deep as they go. Clips are tight and seems to be making good contact.

Any ideas?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, sounds like it should be working properly. Is the screen switching over from Consumption to Energy screen? Will the ICE stay off at start up indefinately until you start moving?

Your car is warmed up thoroughly when you try to engage it (ie you've been driving for at least 10 minutes)?

Keep checking...the 3 beeps suggest you have the thing working right, I'd just bet you're not engaging it at the proper time or under the proper conditions.

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Actually, when it does not go into EV, a message comes accross the top of the MFD to warn you.

The only time I get beeps is going out of EV mode, or when it can not engage.

When engaged the only change is that the MFD switches to the energy screen (unless it is already there). No beeps at all. So make sure to switch your MFD to something else before you test...and then hold the stalk (you are pulling it in, right?). If it switches after 2 seconds to the energy screen, you are good to go. If not, you either have a bad module, or a bad connection.

It almost sounds like something is backwards, and when you are starting you are already in EV mode, and pulling the stalk is taking you back out. If you do not pull the stalk and start driving, does the ICE kick on?

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to say that putting that pin in is a non trivial task! I had to do it 3 times and each time I thought it was in. It is a total pain in the proverbial posterior! Trust me. Take it apart and leave it apart and drive the car. The car does not need all those plastic dash thingies to work. Fool with it then drive again till done.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 15 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]256112[/snapback]</div>

but make sure you plug any cords back into the computer first! lol

I would agree with others... it *sounds* like it's backwards, and you're actually turning off the EV mod instead of turning it on. Check and make sure you didn't get the wires crossed (ie the two wire taps).

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ May 15 2006, 10:48 PM) [snapback]256102[/snapback]</div>
    What?! What message? Is this something other '06 owners can confirm? There is no message what ever given for the '04/05 MY.

There is usually a single beep if the MFD is switching from any screen to the energy screen. If it is already on the Energy screen there is no beep.

No, no, there is no way to do this 'backwards'. You either ground pin 27 or you don't. The fact that he's getting 3 beeps strongly suggests that the install was done correctly and that he's simply trying to engage under improper conditions for EV mode to work.

I would NOT uninstall, I would NOT take the dash back apart at this point.

From a COLD start..first time of the day, Do the following:
    Start the car, about 1 second after the dash says "READY" pull back on your CC stalk until you get the beep or the display switches to the Energy screen. If it was already on the Energy screen just hold back the CC stalk for about 3 seconds total then let go.

Now, sit and wait about 10 seconds. If the ICE doesn't come on your mod is successful. You should be able to back out and drive in EV mode for a while....just watch the SOC, I always try to get out of EV mode when I'm down to 3-4 bars unless I know I can recharge with a long downhill regen cycle or something.

Realize that you won't, again, be able to use EV mode until the ICE is completely warmed up and the entire emissions cycle is complete and you're below 34mph.

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

QUOTE(mssmith95 @ May 15 2006, 10:48 PM)
    Actually, when it does not go into EV, a message comes accross the top of the MFD to warn you.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What?! What message? Is this something other '06 owners can confirm? There is no message what ever given for the '04/05 MY.

____________________________________________________________________________

I don't know about any of the other stuff, but my 06 gives me a message across the top of the MFD that says that the EV mode cannot be engauged.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    please post PIX of that MFD stuff.
    _H*

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    someone somewhere had posted a pic on the boards a while back...
    edit: found it. pics

i agree with evan- if it's beeping in response you did it right. it took us a while to really understand how/when we could activate the mod and it sounds like that's the stage you're at right now. give it some time and you'll figure out the ins and outs ;)

11. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 16 2006, 05:48 AM) [snapback]256184[/snapback]</div>
    I have a base model '06 with an EV switch and I do not see that message. But then, I have the older style screens. It might be something that is included with the higher packages with the 'new' MFD screens.

Jim

12. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, that is the exact screen I get. No beeps when switching from screen to screen.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like it's time for an updated EV mod FAQs article. The waters are getting cloudy. Beeps, no beeps, 04/05/regular 06 MFD vs upgrade 06 MFD. Display vs no display, how the mod works (this thread shows there's a lot of confusion about that).

I won't be around for about the next week so it would be great if someone took it on themselves, otherwise I'll try to remember to do it when I get home.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 16 2006, 04:48 AM) [snapback]256171[/snapback]</div>
    I remember when it was first posted. IIRC it comes up when EV can't be engaged, but not when it is.

15. JEBster

JEBster New Member

Just finished my install (didn't use costal, but method by Evan F. (Sorry, no linky)) and had the same thing happen. 05 Prius, BTW.

When on the Energy screen, there is no indication, audible or visual, that EV has engaged. Best bet is to start the Prius, hit the info screen, then engage the EV. Then, you'll get a beep and the screen will switch to Energy.

I was getting the three beeps too until I tried the screen change method and realized I was engaging hearing / seeing nothing, then trying again only to get the three beeps meaning disengaged.

BTW, I ran in EV in my subdivision until batt reached half way down. Then, exiting division took it up to 55. Interesting how the Prius will still utilize battery (and somtimes battery only) while so depleted. I expected it to immediatly charge up to full once ICE kicked in, but it didn't.

When I could "force" Prius to charge off ICE for a duration, was getting only 50MPG tops on flat stretch on road.

But this is just the first run (HAD to try it out of course). My plan is to utilize it leaving office which is miserably stop and go for about a mile getting out of the office park and onto expressway. Hoping that elimnating ICE on this stretch will increase overall milage. Will see!!!

Interested to hear others experiences with EV.

16. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JEBster @ May 18 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]257806[/snapback]</div>
    I installed the Radio Shack EV button a few weeks ago , in my 2006, per Evan Fusco's instructions.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/files/prius-evbutton-install.pdf
    A tip of the hat to Evan for very accurate and detailed instructions. The photos made the difference and gave me the courage to try it on my own. At first I was a bit apprehensive about removing the vent (fearing I'd snap off a tab), but as you can see from the photo below, the retaining tabs are designed to snap in and out without damage. Also shown in the photo is the backside of the small piece below the vent, which is also removed, so you can see the tab type and orientation.
    [attachmentid=3551]
    Snaking the wire took only a few minutes, and was completed without removing the driver side vent. Also, after checking for good ground with a multimeter, I grounded to the small bolt on the lower right corner of the air filter housing. It can be seen in the lower left quadrant of the photo below.
    [attachmentid=3552]
    The only problems I had were:
    1) Removing the extra pins from the steering column - I didn't realize you have to depress the end of the pin to release it and then slide them out.
    2) Getting the HV ECU plug retainer clip to press down flush after the new pin was inserted into hole #27. - The retainer clip only moves about a 1/16"! I checked the pin orientation (not intuitive) and even pushed the new pin out of the plug once with a needle and reinserted it, but to no avail. I still couldn't get that retainer flush again. Fortunately the plug fit easily back into the HV ECU, so I just plugged it back in. Hopefully, none of those little wires will wiggle loose over time.

The good news is the EV mode button works like a champ! Like Evan, I use it judiciously, and enjoy it tremendously. I love driving in and out of my neighborhood, and around parking lots in EV mode. It's a serious giggle silently cruising past the Base guards at 0530 too.

Even though the EV button seems to work most of the time, sometimes it just won't engage! Like other posters, I get the 3 beeps, and text message "Can't engage EV mode now". This happened just last night. Got out of the movie theater, pressed Power button, and 1-2 seconds later, pressed EV button. 3 beeps. I let the ICE complete its warm up, and as I approached home, at low speed tried EV, Again 3 beeps! I tried coming to a complete stop, I even powered off and restarted - no EV mode!

Now it may be that I simply didn't press in the momentary switch long enough, or that I double pressed the button, or some other operator error, but once the ICE is warmed up, and speed below 32 mph, shouldn't EV engage? Why am I still getting three beeps?

Adding to the mystery, I went back down to the car a few hours after getting home, powered up, and engaged EV mode without any problem. What's going on?

My thanks to the entire PC community for such a wonderful and educational forum.
    By the way, did I say I love my car

17. jmccord

jmccord New Member

Oops. (deleted duplicate post).

18. quadling

quadling New Member

Is Coastal still in business? They don't seem to reply to several Emails asking about '06 mods.

19. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ May 21 2006, 02:24 AM) [snapback]258766[/snapback]</div>
    Have you check the SOC of the battery? EV won't engage when SOC is less than three bars.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quadling @ May 24 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]260281[/snapback]</div>
    They are, but just slow in replying emails. I emailed them too before I ordered EV mod from them. I never got the reply, but ordered anyways. I received their EV mod in 2 weeks.

20. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ May 24 2006, 08:54 AM) [snapback]260286[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, SOC was 60% or better (i.e. at least half of the bars illuminated). I use EV mode sparingly, and avoid running below 4 bars. I also try to power off with at least 6 bars showing.
    Thanks.
    P.S. It's been working great since.