1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal EV

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ml86, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ml86

ml86 New Member

[attachmentid=3045]I like the idea of the EV switch. What effect does it have on the warranty? Will Toyota install it? Does it help MPG? Even if not, it would seem like fun to have. I'm spending way too much to make this car perfect for me already. What's a few more bucks.

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What effect does it have on the warranty?
    No one really knows!

Will Toyota install it?
    A toyota Tech installed mine.

Does it help MPG?
    Maybe a little.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have Coastal's, but it is not the only way to have the EV work. All you really are doing is quickly connecting pin #27 to ground with some sort of button. You can get an OEM switch from Sigma Automotive, which costs the same, and looks like it came with the car. There is also the method of using the headlight stalk (the "flash to pass" part) which only costs you the wire, so that's close to free. You can also get a small button and install it anywhere, which is pretty inexpensive. The Coastal one is probably the easiest to install.

That being said, not every Toyota dealer will install it. Some will refuse and others might not even know about it. As for helping MPG, if done correctly, yeah, a bit. Don't forget though that the battery is charged by the ICE, so it may run longer later in order to recharge. Some use it daily, while others use it a bit. I use it to move about a large parking lot or from the store to home. The range is a little over a mile at under 34mph.

4. ml86

ml86 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 19 2006, 10:10 PM) [snapback]242458[/snapback]</div>
    That is pretty much the usage I had in mind, full electric in the neighborhood and maybe short trips. The "using the headlight stalk" sounds good to me. Most of this is over my head though, if you have a recommended source for information on that procedure I would be interested. I tried to find the switch on the sigmaautomotive site but couldn't.

On a related matter, how do you like your dash cover? The dash looks like it would absorb a lot of heat and I'm worried about maintaining it in the long run.

Thanks.

5. jag31

jag31 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Max Smart @ Apr 19 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]242363[/snapback]</div>
    where did you get the body side moulding>

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Max Smart @ Apr 20 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]242538[/snapback]</div>
    Take a look at http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=5 Scroll to the bottom of the first post to see how it's done. The one from Sigma is about 3/4 of the way down in the Interior section. It costs $57, but isn't quite turnkey yet Be sure, if you decide to order one, to specify it's for the 2006 as the size is different. It goes in one of the blanks next to the light dimmer wheel.

I like the dash cover. To me it's better than looking at a sea of black plastic. :) Here's a picture of it installed.

7. ml86

ml86 New Member