1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Hitch - problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by captpg, May 13, 2006.

1. captpg

captpg New Member

Hello all, hoping someone could offer some advice on my almost installed Coastal Technologies 2" hitch on on an 06 Prius.

I am at the final stage, having (I think) carefully followed the instructions provided by Coastal. The right side if the hitch is loosely bolted onto the frame. The left bracket is installed and tightened, but when I try to line up the plate at he end of the bar with the left bracket, there is good half inch of space between the bracket and the plate. I can only think that I've done something so stupid and self evidently wrong, I'm just missing it. If anyone can offer any suggestions, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(captpg @ May 13 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]254777[/snapback]</div>

I had the same problem. My solution: take everything apart and move the left bracket closer to the plate and tighten. Ops!! Too far. Repeat until correct :(

3. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(captpg @ May 13 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]254777[/snapback]</div>
    I just installed mine last week and ran into the same problem. It sucked. I had to take everything apart, including the black plastic protective cover, and move the drivers side bracket in, toward the center of the car. The instructions tell you the other way, and as you have found out, it doesn't work. I know, it sucks. But reassembling everything the second time is quicker since you did it once already!

Is this for a bike rack?

I just modified my Yakima Kingpin rack to fit better behind the Prius. It was too tall and the wind broke two of the Yakima straps free and my bike was swinging behind my car like Superman. Luckily, the bungy cords held. So, I cut off 10 inches of the vertical rack, thus lowering my bike below the back of the car. Haven't tested it yet but will this week. I will post pictures soon.