1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Tech Charges You For What They Don't Have

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Joekc, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I ordered from Coastal Tech fully aware of the mixed reviews here. The summary of advice seemed to be "flip a coin you might get lucky." I was very careful to document what I did and NOT to order online, but rather to call in person. I called and asked if the XM radio was available for shipping. They said it was and could be sent out the next day. I placed an order and got a notice from UPS with a tracking #. (Of course just getting a # from UPS doesn't mean the vendor has actually shipped it, as I found out.)

However, as it turned out, they did not have the item in stock. They did, however, charge my credit card. Five days later I called and asked them what had happened and they admitted they didn't have it in stock. When I asked why they would charge me for something they didn't have, the woman said "sometimes that happens accidentally with on-line orders." I told her I had called in person, rather than ordering online and she had no explanation. Better get your story straight!

She assurred me that if I didn't cancel the order, they would ship it overnight and I would have it by July 1. Of course I didn't get anything. I called today to inquire and the person I talked to was very argumentative, as if this was not their fault at all, but rather their supplier's problem. (They ship directly from their office, rather than "drop ship" as some companies do.)

I'm sorry, but it is your fault if you A: Tell me you have an item when you don't and B: Charge my credit card when you know you don't have the item.

Mistakes happen in business. I accept that. But deliberate misrepresentation is not a mistake, but rather an "on-purpose."

So go ahead and take your chances with these folks if you want. Maybe you'll get lucky :(

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The good news is that you used your credit card for payment, so if you tire of playing games with that vendor, you can file a disputed-charge request with your credit card issuer.

3. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm already tired of their games. They said they were issuing a credit, but they said other things, too. We'll see. Anyone who would use a debit card would be insane.

4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    and I would do so immediately!

PS: debit cards have the same protection as credit!

5. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Not completely. They fall under different laws and banks may handle them differently. The biggest issue with a debit card the money is gone from your bank account almost instantly and you are the one who has to get it put back in. With a credit card you've paid out nothing. I repeat, giving out a debit card # on the Internet is just asking for trouble.

6. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They're not a consulting firm on customer service, it's a bunch of really smart engineers and techs making cool devices. With that in mind, your experience seems within scope.

I get very excited when ordering products and the wait is the worst, so I'm not dismissing the hassle you've endured because waiting sux, but have patience with them. Let the order work through.

They certainly are not trying to cause you this mix up (imo), and they probably get frustrated because people call them expecting a perfect business plan with customer service as the #1 hallmark.

You don't call a bug guy to your home then get mad when he can't also hook up your cable.

All in all, I stand behind CoastalTech as terrific gadget folks. I'll agree they're not good at all with customer service, but that's not why I do business with them. As soon as they get competition who do care about customer service, CT is through, but until then, take them as they are.

7. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And I'll buy from that NEW company. I will never buy from Coastal given all the incredibly bad reviews they have gotten on this board alone.

... Brad

8. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not letting them off the hook. Bad customer service is one thing. Bad company policy is another. When you have a company policy of charging credit cards for items you know you don't have in stock, that's policy set by company owners, not their underlings.

Of course I understand the game: tell the customer we have have it so they don't look elsewhere. Charge their card to give them a further reason not to go to the hassle of cancelling the order. Keep promising it will ship any day now. And so on . . .

Of course the customer service is bad, too. That, too, all comes down from the top. If your customer service people are killing your business, you need to get rid of them. You are the owner. Whether or not you like the business end of your company, if you don't take care of it sooner or later it's going to bite you in the a$$.

9. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    True.

Co. policy? LOL You're assuming CT has suits up in offices making decisions. I'm sure those smart anti social engineers ARE the owners!

I doubt they have thought it through enough to strategize hooking you in when the stock is out. They probably just process the orders and work on their components and yous got mixed up.

I agree that sux for your customer experience and really sux for their future business once competition sprouts up, but again, it's more than likely just smart techs w/out solid business sense, and one has to anticipate that. Everything after that is butta, because right now CT has the best components!

10. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Now, THIS is an example of great customer service! If only all businesses knew how important it is!

11. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Either you are in retail or you're not. If they are going to sell these components for a profit then they need to bring in a service manager to take care of customer needs. It's not that hard. I work for a small company that has to onesy twosey orders out the door all the time. I do it every day. My customers do not get charged until I have the order in hand and ready to ship. It's that simple. The only excuse I might see is if the person taking the phone order is using the internet system to place the orders, which is entirely possible.

12. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, I'm not assuming that at all. (Are you assuming you have to be a large company to have a business model?) Whether you have one employee or 1000, the owner (CEO, etc.) has to set policy. With CT I've always assumed they were a small operation, but I know they have several employees because I've talked to different people. Even if it's a family business, you need to have smarts. They're in business still because they have a monopoly on products people want. I guess the real question is how big could they have grown their business with decent customer service and common courtesy?

There's an old axiom in the restaurant business (which does have competition). It says that the worst customer is the one who receives bad service and doesn't complain to the manager, but rather goes out the door unhappy and tells ten other people about the lousy service. CT needs to realize for every customer they get with their clever products, they probably lose ten more when unhappy customers post their very valid complaints here.

13. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I asked them if they were using "drop shipping" i.e. sending the order to a third party for shipping. They said they shipped all merchandise themselves, so even this excuse doesn't wash.

To repeat my original complaint. They told me on the phone the product was ready to ship, would ship the next morning, charged my card, then shipped nothing and didn't bother contacting me. Subsequent phone calls resulted in nothing but broken promises.

14. Raider

Raider New Member

I have heard of this with some race car shops, where someone has authorized the shop to do prep and maintenance on someone's race car, only to see expenses charged on their credit card, for parts of services that have not taken place.

I think these establishments use customer's money, to pay for other things. They take your money, to pay their vendors, to have items shipped to them, since they may not have enough cash reserves to maintain inventory or establish a credit line for items to be ordered on account, since they do order enough units or without prepayment in advance. Typically cash strapped small businesses.

Your payment could pay for parts they need to build new lockpicks or EV modules, or just prepayment for an XM radio to be sent to them, so they can send it to you.

But unless you know an insider at CT, who's to say what is really going on with your payment and your shipment.

15. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    CT makes excellent products and I would have no hesitation ordering from them. Threads like this do nothing to change that. They do, however, me me thankful I am not in retail.

16. gatsby_88

gatsby_88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Several months ago, I was ready to buy one of their lockpick products. I e-mailed them a simple question about the capabilities of the various versions that they make, but they never replied. If they won't respond to a simple question when I have cash in hand ready to buy, how do you think their customer service will be after they have your money? I chose not to find out. I will wait for someone else to enter their market or for Coastal Tech to figure out how to do business.

17. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have purchased a couple of products from Coastal Tech., I have done that knowing all the history of complaints. I order, pay and cross my fingers. Finally a package arrives and works like promised. So I am happy. Would I be happier if they had terrific customer service and inventory, yeah. Do I have a choice? No. No one makes the cool stuff they make for our cool cars. End of story.

18. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have purchased one product from CT. It came right away but did not work right away. I emailed.. I called... No response, never a person on the line. The product did mysteriously start working, so I let it go. Overall, I agree with OP. I will not buy anything from CT again. They do make cool products.. but when you have to "cross your fingers" that it works or that you'll get it or that they'll repsond IN ANY WAY to questions... that's a horrible business. They may be cool techies.. but they run a horrible business.

19. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1

... Brad

20. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    CoastalTech
    From 1 to 5 = worst to best

1] Website - (1) 2 3 4 5
    2] Customer Support - 1 2 (2.5) 3 4 5
    3] Product quality - 1 2 3 4 (5)
    4] Would you order from them again 1 2 3 4 (5)
    5] Would you recommend CT - 1 2 3 4 (5)
    6] Would you order from different Co. w/ better customer service - 1 2 3 4 (5)

1] Their website sux, period. Design, current information, and compatibility.
    2] Their e-mail support is nonexistent, however, calling the non free # has worked every time. I've even received 2 voice mails from CT answering my Q's.
    3] Every item I have ordered worked as advertised with great color instructions
    4] I'll keep ordering from them until competition with better accessability and customer service pops up(which could be a while)
    5] I'd recommend CT to anyone, understanding they know CT lacks in the service Dep.
    6] If the exact products are made from a Co. passionate about customer service, I'll switch to them right away!

CT makes good products. They ship fast. With enough clever effort I've managed to speak with them on some Q's, and I am content with the way they do business. I'll order again! :)