1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Tech Hitch for a Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by thusband, Apr 27, 2005.

1. thusband

thusband Junior Member

I want to be able to hang two bikes and wonder if the rack will wobble seriously. With just one connecting point the rack wouldn't seem very secure.

A roof rack would be too much trouble I think.

Thanks,

Tom

2. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

I am currently using the 2-inch Coastal hitch with a BVG (Bauer Vehicle Gear) swing-away rack. This rack clamps down on the frame of the bike (and locks!), so the bike can't yaw or roll. I use bungies to control pitch. The whole rack has about a half an inch vertical travel observed at the bike mount. This is due to less then a sixteenth inch clearance of the rack mount in the hitch reciever. I an going to get some rubber wedges of some sort to fill the gap. I'm not in any hurry, though. The amount of travel dosn't bug me. The car couldn't care less that it is hauling a bike.

I can, by the way, completely open the hitch, even if I have a bike on the rack.

P.S. My roll, pitch, and yaw are relative the the car's direction of travel.

3. thusband

thusband Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. Looks like it will work OK.

Tom