1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Tech Hitch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Omita, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Omita

Omita New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm looking for some success stories from other Coastal Tech Hitch owners. I've had it for many years now and have had 0 issues. I've been using it for short and long trips towing a pretty light trailer. ~500 total weight, and always trying to keep the tongue weight to ~50 lbs.

I was curious if anyone else has tried towing more and what their experience was. I am looking at trying to tow a 1100 lb load but just short distances, again I need to see what the tongue wait is.

I've done about 4500 miles of trailering with my Prius. She's done very well. 2 adults, one kid, and a bunch of camping gear inside, and the trailer on the back. Most of that was with the AC on as well. Your MPG is much lower but still way better then any other vehicle on the market. I typically get 40-35 MPG on the trips, which averages a large chunk of 50MPG in flat CA driving, and 20-40 MPG of Highway mountain climbs in WA, OR, and Northern CA. There are no adverse driving or handling issues. She brakes we'll and climbs nicely. Often you just have to drive well on the inclines. I try to avoid the point where the engine hit's it's MAX RPM's when going up a big hill at 60+ mph. Sometimes you do need to move over into the 'climbing lanes' to maintain over 50. But there are pretty extreme highway climbs on Mountain Passes. More often then not your just trying to keep your momentum.

My favorite part is when you arrive at the destination and remove your trailer and then get to enjoy having a more efficient car then anyone else there.

If anyone else has good trailer stories, please do share.

-i