1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Tech now has EV switch!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Kev1000000, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YAY... now i get to wait a week to make sure i can get the funding for it.. hehe.. balancing my budget for this month.

3. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

45 bucks seems a but steep for that little thing, but worth it if its really easy to install

4. benbethel

benbethel Junior Member

YES! I've already spoken to the folks at the Az Dept of Transportation and this will qualify me for alternative fuel plates and access to the HOV lanes. Now I can get back at all those bi-fuel Expeditions that have teensy 2 gallon propane tanks just to get their plates!

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I ordered one at the end of May. Their confirmation email said it would ship in 3 to 10 days, but then they were back-ordered. They finally shipped it two days ago, and I'm hoping it will arrive today. They told me "You need a pair of pliers and a screwdriver and takes about 20 minutes to install."

I have an appointment at my dealer on Monday the 12th for my first oil change and the SSC 40D. (I talked the the service people, and mine is not the first they've done, and they've had no problems up to now, and they know about keeping the battery charged during the procedure, so I anticipate no problems.)

So I'll wait until after that to install the EV switch.

When I get it and see the installation instructions, I'll post a report in the Performance Modifications forum, and I'll update that once I have it installed, hopefully early next week.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm waiting for a few installs to be reported on before I get one. I wanted to go to Florida for bigger stuff, but my vacation came and went with no bigger stuff made available.

The hold-the-switch-for-2-seconds part sold me, since I don't want to have the cruise control being disengaged turning on EV mode. Nice touch...

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's great that this option is available now and encourage folks who have trepidation about doing other installs but who really want some form of EVb to go ahead and get this. Just be aware that the CC EVb has some quirks and bugs that standard EVb's do not. It may not engage as consistantly. But, that little circuit is certainly slick and easy to install and it's a fun alternative.

Rich Evans reported on the various quirks over on one of the YGs, I'll see if I can find that or get him to reiterate what you can expect.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, my factory EV button is quirky in that it won't engage at times either (no beeps or anything).

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like to cruise through the parking lot at work on battery, but I've had a run of bad luck doing that lately. Drive to work fully recharges battery, yet when I engage the cruise at 25MPH per lot speed limit, at least 50% of the time it goes to gas. Frequently, when I come to a stop at the light at the employee's entrance I can get it to go electric, but not always. When the light is green and I didn't have to stop before turning into the lot, most times I can't get electric to kick in at all.

It'd be good to have more leverage in convincing the car to do what I want, even if it isn't perfect...

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are definately time the EV won't kick in. I think it was Tosh that posted the list of ECU 'modes'. After warm-up begins it won't kick in, but it will before that starts. Also, if the HV batt temp is too high it won't kick in, I've experienced that twice this summer. I've had no situations that I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.

Rich promised to get back to me tomorrow with the quirks/bugs list.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I received the Costal EV switch today. I had ordered it quite some time ago, but they were back-ordered. Perhaps to make up for that, they did not charge me for S&H.

The installation looks pretty straightforward: You have to remove the passenger-side A/C vent and open the glove boxes. Then there will be a rat's nest of wires and plugs. You have to pull out the indicated plug. You then have to locate the correct wires and install the included wire taps.

Then you must insert the infamous pin into the indicated slot. They are clear about which way it must go in, and they talk about a "bar" on the side of the plug that must be lifted to allow the insertion of the pin.

Do-it-yourself posters have written about problems with the pin, and since the pin is already attached to the wire, it looks as though you have only one chance.

Then you replace the plug, replace the A/C vent, and you are done. Some of the photos are not as clear as I would like, but it looks pretty straightforward.

Now I have to get up the nerve to actually do it! I'll report again when and if that happens.

12. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Thanks daniel, if you do it and succeed, could you post up how you did it for people like me who are eerie about doing this install?

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One question I have: the instructions say that the computer will take the car out of EV mode if "The driver accelerates quickly." I wonder how gentle one must be on the pedal to avoid this? Without the EV kit, if I want to stay in EV mode from a stop, I have to accelerate much more slowly than traffic conditions will normally tolerate. How much more leeway will I have with the switch?

It will also go out of EV mode if you exceed 34 mph or the battery needs recharging. That's not a problem for me, as speed limits in town are 25 mph on most streets, and at 30 mph nobody is going to think I'm holding up traffic, providing I can accelerate at a reasonable pace.

And a postscript: they included a box of jellybeans with the kit. I don't know if that's standard, or a token of appreciation for my patience. But after 5 days in UPS trucks in hot weather, I'm not sure I'd want to eat them.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "How I did it" will be to follow the included instructions. However, I will definitely post how hard it seemed and how it turned out, along with any problems I encountered.

15. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

k, thanks man!

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Daniel,
    As I understand it the jelly beans are a Coastal E Tech tradition. Be sure to look at my EV button installation instructions for (probably) clearer pictures. Also, I talk a bit more about using EV mode. You can't 'stomp it' in EV mode, but you can definately accelerate harder than without an EV button.

Just put the thing in, Dave's little circuit makes this a real piece of cake.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, Evan. It probably won't happen today because I'm going to be pretty busy. Maybe tomorrow, though.

I am a bit nervous messing with my $24,000 car. And the instructions do recommend: "... have this installation completed by a certified mechanic or someone familiar with automotive electronics...." but other than the Toyota dealership, I'd trust a regular mechanic even less than myself. Ha ha.

Your pictures are definitely clearer. I'm printing out the ones that are relevant to this install. I would NOT have the courage to try the DIY version.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I installed the switch. My (long) report is here

19. GaryK

GaryK New Member

Any problems after insallation of Coastal kit?

Has anyone who has done the Coastal modification had any problems that occurred after installation? If yes, what sort of problem?

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have had no problems. I'd have prefered a one-second delay rather than the 2-second (which seems to me like 3 seconds) delay. And since the CC stalk rotates with the steering wheel, it is nearly impossible to engage it while turning. But I've experienced no problems.