1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Tech Turnaround Time For XM Radio Kit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Harper, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Harper

Harper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read some of the horror stories regarding Coastal Tech. Right now, I am "on the fence" in regards to their customer service since I have never purchased anything from them. I am interested in purchasing the XM Radio Receiver Kit they offer for $299.00 for my '05. Has anyone purchased this item from them recently and how long did it take? I live in the southern Caifornia area. Where do you live? Also, was it as easy to install as we are led to believe? Oh, and one more thing....do they offer the free 3 months of service from XM as their website still says? I've read differently. Any other alternatives you can suggest are greatly appreciated!! TIA!!

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It really depends on whether they have it in stock or not. I ordered a NAV kit and an Auto-Lock kit back in April '05. I got the Auto-Lock in September '05 and the NAV kit in January '06. On the other hand, I ordered the EV mod in February '06 and it arrived 8 days later (including shipping from Florida to California). After installing the DICE iPod integration kit in the same spot (there's a pigtail if you want both), I can say that it'll take time, but should be pretty easy to do.

FWIW, Metro Toyota has the same kit (with 3 months free XM service) for $250. Factory Interactive sells one for $295, but no free 3 months.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You should call them and talk to them. Ask if it is in stock. I suspect they are trying to dispose of these.

4. Harper

Harper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Nov 12 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]348035[/snapback]</div>

So whichever kit I choose, do I still have to take apart the dash for the most part to make XM work? Is Metro Toyota or an equivalent in the SoCal area? And as for my question regarding if Coastal Tech still offers the free 90 days of XM?

5. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Harper @ Nov 12 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]348066[/snapback]</div>
    Metro is in Ohio. Your only way to get it at a "brick & mortar" place in SoCal is at your dealer. I don't know the price and there probably won't be a free 90 days.

As for taking the dash apart, the minimum is the lower glove box and the right A/C vent cover next to the MFD.

As hdrygas suggested, call Coastal to make sure the free 90 days is still in effect. If it were me, I'd get it from Metro; it's cheaper and does have the free 90 days. You mentioned in your first post you were worried about Coastal; here's a way to avoid the worry.

6. Harper

Harper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Nov 13 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]348164[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like this is the best way then. Does Metro have the same quality instructions (i.e. DVD) as Coastal? If not, what type of intructions do they have? Thanks, everyone! As always, YOU ROCK!!

FOOTNOTE:
    50 POSTS!!WooT!!

7. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wouldn't it be easier to have your dealer install the XM (3 months included) to avoid all the hassles?

I realize it is somewhat more expensive ($400-500), but you would have it within 2 hours of bringing it to to your dealer.

For awhile earlier this year the XM kit was not available to Toyota dealers, but it is now in stock.

Sometime money is not always the answer. :rolleyes:

8. Harper

Harper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dvdirv @ Nov 13 2006, 12:00 PM) [snapback]348231[/snapback]</div>
    You have a point regarding the $$ thing, but, every time I go to the dealer, my wallet always feels a little assaulted. It's like buying a Corvette when a Corolla will do (is that a fair analogy?) I'll call the dealer and see what they offer.....Thanks.

9. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Harper @ Nov 13 2006, 08:48 AM) [snapback]348222[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the instructions that Metro has online. Ignore all the dash stuff as you don't have to remove it all (take a look here to see the actual dash removal). It'll give you an idea, though, what's involved.