1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal Technologies - any improvement in shipping?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ronlprius, Jul 29, 2006.

1. ronlprius

ronlprius New Member

Reading through the older posts on this list, members seem either to love or hate Coastal. Slow shipping, no response to questions, and so on. I want to buy some of their VERY COOL mods for my '06 when they are ready (ev mode, iPod interface, and Ultimate Lockpick) but the horror stories are scaring me away. What's the current scoop on Coastal?

Thanks!
    Ron

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ron L. @ Jul 29 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]294319[/snapback]</div>
    Ron, EV mod is already available for the 06 and it works great.

As with any small hi-tech company, there are going to be glitches.

The only real mistakes that Coastal makes is trying to get the products out to everyone before they have enough of them ready.

As far as response...they have always been good to me. Most of the people who seem to complain, just send them emails rather then just pick up the good old telephone and give them a call.

I can't wait for the next mods to be ready...so far everything they have made seems to be great!

3. BMcGraw

BMcGraw Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 29 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]294425[/snapback]</div>

Not exactly the case. I personally have called over twenty times in the past year and gotten no one has ever answered the phone. The few times a left a message, it was not returned. I'm not alone in the respect.

Bottom line........ GOOD LUCK!

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It really depends on if they have the stuff in stock or not. If they do, it's pretty quick. I ordered the Auto-Lock kit and NAV enhancement kit (I have a 2005) in April '05. The Auto-Lock kit arrived in September '05 and the NAV kit arrived in January '06. I ordered the EV mod in February '06 and it arrived (from Florida to San Diego) in about 8 days.

5. ronlprius

ronlprius New Member

I ordered my EV mod on August 2, it arrived on August 9, and I installed it myself. Great instructions, tight quarters, and a scratched up left hand, but it's installed and it works! I'm pleased!

6. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ron L. @ Aug 10 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]301227[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto, here. Ordered in July and got it the next week (shipping went over a weekend, and UPS held it for a day for some unknown reason). Took me while to get around to installing it, but did it 8/9. Great instructions, ditto on the tight quarters except I scratched up the back of my right hand. Took me about 45 minutes overall. Works good when it works, it's pretty hot out here right now and I'm learning that it doesn't like to go into EV if it's too hot.

Oh, and the Jelly Bellies they add in the box are a nice treat for when you finish the install :)

7. ronlprius

ronlprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Aug 10 2006, 09:07 PM) [snapback]301306[/snapback]</div>
    My wife ate the Jelly Bellies :(

8. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

Placed an order for a 2" receiver hitch on Sunday and it arrived the following Friday. They did great on that one.

9. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtsarpilot @ Aug 12 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]302201[/snapback]</div>

Any particular reason you went for the 2"? I was debating getting the 1-1/4 (to make its appearance more subtle), since it seemed I could get a perfectly OK bike rack for that size. Was there a particular accessory you had in mind?

10. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 12 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]302205[/snapback]</div>
    I already have a 2" receiver bike rack, so I needed the 2". Many 1 1/4" racks are limited to 2 bikes. I want to be able to haul 4. Have had a 2" on my previous vehicle so the rack I bought a long time ago is 2"

11. tvgaffer

tvgaffer Junior Member

I love my Nav enhancment from coastal (04 pkg#8)but it took a real long time Nov to Jan <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ron L. @ Jul 29 2006, 12:27 PM) [snapback]294319[/snapback]</div>
    :)

12. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtsarpilot @ Aug 12 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]302229[/snapback]</div>
    I bought the Coastal 1 1/4" hitch because I had a rack from my previous Ford Escape, same size. It's a Thule rack and hold 4 bikes just fine.

13. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I ordered the ultimate lockpick about 3 weeks ago and just go confirmation it had shipped and is due to arrive within the next couple of days. That is confirmation from UPS that it is enroute. And, Kelley at Coastal told me it would ship on the 10th, and it did. So once it arrives I will post that.

The last two times I ordered I never got anything. Hopefully this is the beginning of better customer service and parts delivery. I guess I would say order the parts-what have you got to lose? They either ship them or not but I am unaware of anyone else offering these parts for our cars. Good luck.