1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastaletech EV Modification

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ibcs, Apr 23, 2006.

1. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I ordered the Coastaletech EV kit for my 2006 Prius. I can't believe that this does not come standard on the US model. I agree it's kind of a toy, but since my drive to the interestate is somewhat downhill with a speed limit of 35 mph most of the way. Clicking the switch allows me to drive to the interestate and at that point the battery is depleted. I drive 20 to 30 minutes on the interstate and recharge the battery. I'm sure that the Prius can manage better, but it's sure cool to drive in EV mode whenever you want.

The mod requrired about 30 minutes to complete and they added some extra instructions and pictures on how far to press the pin into the connector. The process was a little strange since you had to unplug one of the main wire plugs and place two small taps on the wires. The whole process was well explained and required no technical experience to install.

Thanks Coastaletech,
    ---Kent

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I enjoy my EV button. My first tank with the button returned better-than-expected results. However, my second tank indicated that I overused the button: my mileage dropped when it should have improved.

So be careful with the 'toy'. Using it wisely may boost your mileage; usign it wildly will kill it.

3. whk.wang

whk.wang New Member

Have only had the mod for a 2 days, but it is a cool mod. Lets me drive to the freeway also. And run to the store and almost back. Even in traffic at 34, it helps keep the engine off when I can tell I am going to be stopping and going. Very nice. Also much more quite for most of the ride to through the lot in stealth mode.

Just me and the radio are louder!

If the mod was cheaper, then that is about all that could make the mod even better.

Weird thing if anyone else knows how to make the "3 beeps" more consistent? I can tell I am in EV mode, but can't seem to get the "3 beeps" consistenly and to know why they are not consistent.

But I am also enjoying it too. It sure helps to be helping the gas milage. But it is weird and I can sort of tell when the car engine warms up to "critical efficient temperature". Our milage seems to get to the efficient expected 50 mph... Other wise while charging the battery I seem to hover about the 34s mpg.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ibcs @ Apr 23 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]244114[/snapback]</div>