1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastaletech Hitch - design issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by JimboJones, Sep 29, 2007.

1. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

[attachmentid=11767][attachmentid=11768][attachmentid=11769]Bought a 2" hitch from Coastaletech, got the unit fairly quickly. However, upon installation three things became obviously problematic:

1. the instruction is misleading - it says to slide the driver side bracket to the left as far as it would go. In fact, it should be slid as far right as it should go (more on this below).

2. the cross member is not long enough to connect with the driver side bracket, even when the bracket is slid as far right as it can go - bad design as the hitch is subject to torsional loads (I used extra washers to fill the gap). Coastaletech says there is supposed to be a 3/8" gap between the crossmember and the bracket - why?

3. the hitch assembly "powder coating" is poorly done - flakes of paint have come off sections of the hitch assembly. Powder coating is a lot more durable than this.

Anybody else have the same issues?

Attached Files:

2. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboJones @ Sep 29 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]519291[/snapback]</div>
    Oh man.. Many of our fellow forum members had those issues and then some. :ph34r: Check out this thread on problems with the Coastal hitch: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=9326&st=20

Me, I decided to go with the Curt hitch instead.. It's a lot more solidly built, though only available in 1.25". Photos of my Curt hitch here: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=39125

BTW... Welcome, fellow Prius owner! B)

3. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

Thanks JL, and yikes, I should have looked here first before I got the Coastaletech hitch... I think I'll keep it though, and use it until it breaks - how soon I don't know, I'm just going to have a bike rack on it. Once the 2" hitch is gone, I'll definitely consider the Curt.

Thanks for the welcome, tell me, does owning a Prius also entail becoming obsessed with
    - doodads for it
    - waxing and pimping it
    - long gazes at it
    - working out the maximum fuel efficient driving technique
    - reading all the Prius websites and newsgroups

because it's as if I'm possessed! Help!

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboJones @ Sep 29 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]519300[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, pretty much.

5. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring