1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastal's Auto Door Lock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by InTheWASide, Aug 12, 2004.

1. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Bought this and just got it delivered. In the next couple days I'll be getting it put in and I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Anyone else buy it yet?

2. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Mine's scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning. If it's as easy as it's supposed to be, I'll put it in after work tomorrow and let everyone know by Monday.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I LOVE guinea pigs!! I should get mine next week....please take photos and give a detailed description of how it went and how satisfied you are with having them in.

4. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wish that Coastal would put the installation instructions on their webpage - it would inspire a lot more confidence that it's an easy installation, which would lead to more people ordering I'd think.

Dave

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree. If I can't but still want it, I'd show them to people at a stereo place or a mechanic friend and see if he would be willing to do it. And if ultimately I couldn't I wouldn't have to buy/return it.

Alpha

6. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now Now, Brad. Let them all know who will be installing it for you. :D Brad and I are going to be getting together soon to make that install possible. We only live like 30 mins away from each other.

7. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Yah, 30 min... which in So Cal standards means like 8 miles... ;)

And yes everyone, the BIG SMART 16year old will be installing the auto door lock, AND my cargo net since it requires a drill that I don't have...

You damn yuppies have all kinds of tools ;)

8. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Coastal Dave and Kelley donated one to our Prius Club as a give-away for a raffle, so I took a good look at it and the instructions. This is a lovely piece of engineering and packaging!

I can assure you that this is an easy task at about the same level of complexity as installing a new hard drive in your computer. It involves pulling the plastic cover from the rail alongside the passenger seat, but like the rest of the car that's a snap-on piece. There's no trickery to the electrical part of the installation.

The circuit board in the one I saw is 1/3 the size of a business card, encapsulated in heat-shrink tubing as a flat module.

9. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is news to me. :wink: :D :idea: :lol:

10. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

And...?

:violin:

11. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is great. There has been so many incidents where the worlds saddest violin has come into play with me. This one is by far the funniest.

12. Poppajack747

Poppajack747 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is exactly the feature that I turn OFF when buying a new car. But, then, I don't have kids.

13. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Junior Member

Did you have install this behind the right pasenger vent? Were any wires removed or does it clip on to empty spots?

Thanks,
    Bryan

14. mboileau

mboileau New Member

The auto lock requires accessing two connectors. A grey connector found behind the right passenger vent, and a blue connector behind the plastic plate on the passenger right-hand side below the glove box. The kit provides wire taps that simply snap onto existing wires. No new wires or pins are required.

15. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Junior Member

So I would gues that removing the glove box as you would to access the cabin air filter, makes this alot easier?

Thanks,
    Bryan

16. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to remove the bottom glove box and the right side vent. That will allow you to access the grey port, then you need to get to a blue one like mboileau said. First you need to remove the passenger side skid plate then the kick plate. That allows you access to both ports, then you are pretty much done.

17. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Not to oversimplify though, the grey connector is a real b*tch to get to with your hands. A long screwdriver and the needle-nosed pliers are essential.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No no, you do not need those tools and I STRONGLY recommend against using any tools at all to get that plug out. That plug is in the HV ECU, you break or dislodge one of those wires or one to one of the other plugs and you're going to be in one hell of a fix.

The easiest way to get the plug out is to reach DOWN from the largest hole...the one where the air vent actually is. You can use your right hand to reach down and then use your left hand coming in from the side where the glove box was to help pull the plug out. What I do (and I've pulled that plug upwards of 20 times for various projects) is use the right hand reaching from the top to squeeze the little catch on the side closest to the passenger door and use the left hand reaching in from the glovebox area to grab the entire bunch of wires coming from the plug to pull outward. It snaps loose quite easily once you get that catch depressed. Once that's done you'll just need to work it around the other wires in the neighborhood and pull it out the opening where the smaller square piece of trim below the vent cover was for easiest access to the wires.

19. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The first time I got to the plug (EV Button) I did have a little trouble, but I also, Don't recommend using a tool to get it open. The second time, on Brad's, I had a little more experience and was a lot easier to get off. I used the Screw Driver to separate the wires out of the middle and the needle nose pliers to close the clamps on the wires.

-Brian

20. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Don't panic guys! I simply can't seem to get my hand through the big hole, past the wiring harnesses and onto the connector. It may simply be because I've installed the XM radio and there's an additional cable harness running right in front of it. All I'm doing is using the long screwdriver to gently depress the tab that I would otherwise be pressing with my right hand, and then using the needle-nose pliers to hold onto the grey connector piece itself (not the wires) to dislodge it from the mating connector. Remember, I already cut the dickens out of my hand reaching in there last time!