1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastaltech Front end Mask

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by kinged, Feb 16, 2006.

1. kinged

kinged New Member

I saw the coastaltech Front end mask available for 2006. I am think about getting one. But is it easy to put it on and take it off? Anyone got one?

I mainly want to use it for long distance trips, but if it takes a long time to put it on, I probably won't do it.

Thanks in advance.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is the OEM front end mask at a better price than my wife paid when she got mine from the dealer as a Xmas present. Onece it is streched out it is goes on and off easly enough. The upper one is very easy the lower a bit harder. Have someone help you strech it out the first time.

3. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consider using 3M protectant film (invisible mask). It's a high cost solution, but will last many years. Cloth/Vinyl masks are a pain, flap in the wind and rub away paint. Worse, sand gets between the mask and the paint leaving ugly pits and scratches.

4. kinged

kinged New Member

Wow, Front end mask sounds nasty. Why would anyone want to put on front end mask if it scratches the paint.

But I do not plan to spend that much on the protectant film.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    nope, nope, nope and nope.

i love mine, it doesn't flap and no paint has been rubbed off. i have had no problems with sand pitting or scratching at all, the front end looks brand new.

i take it off twice a year or so to wash the nose of the car and get a good coat of wax under there. takes about 10 minutes to install, not a pain at all. all the connectors and fasteners are in the right places, very tight fit.

looks real nice IMO. and no rock chips!

but... to each his own.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Amen and I would add I took mine off after a month and half on and there was 2 inches at the end under the wheel well that was dirty on the under side other wise the white felt was clean. This thing fits tight. Yes it adsorbs some water but not much dirt. I was amazed at clean everything was.

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah the wheel wells were the only dirty places on mine after 6 month intervals too.

well designed, eh? ;)

8. kinged

kinged New Member

That sounds encouraging. Did you get yours from Coastaltech? Thanks

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    coastaltech sells the oem toyota bra (same thing you can get through the dealer). mine's an 05 and we got the bra from the dealer because my husband gets the employee discount. ;) overall, same thing.

10. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Scuttlebutt has it that the 06 is changed slightly -- but the bra for 04-05 doesn't fit it. This INCLUDES the bras sold at Toyota dealerships as well. I presume a new model will be designed for the 06.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is not what I here the Body Styles are the same they are cosmetic not functional.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just saw the difference with my own eyes. The lower part clips to a part in the 04-05 that is in a different place on the 06. Don't try a previous bra on the 06! It kinda works, but not quite!

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That must be the place where you remove the fender liner clip and replace it with a snap. It has to be in the right place... trust me I put it in the wrong place and had to change it out to make it fit. If Toyota changed the locations of the fasteners that you have to remove and replace with a snap you will never make it fit. I would need to see both cars... let me see Scott are you out there can we get together this weekend and work out these details? Do I need to Email you on Epic? No I don't think they would like that!

14. kinged

kinged New Member

Ok, the only issue I am not entirely clear is: Does the mask fit the 2006 Prius? I have e-mailed coastaltech, but did not receive any response. I think I will hold off on ordering it.

15. tcrowson

tcrowson New Member

I have a 04 and an 06 and the old braw will not fit the 06 without modifications to the car or the braw. I took off the scoop that Toyota added and install the braw then screwed the scoop back on. It worked fine until I went to have the car washed and wanted to remove the braw. It about 20 minutes to unbolt the scoop and take off the braw and replaced the bolts. Now just leave the scoop off and the braw goes on and off easly. I also removed the thin plastic air deflector behind the scoop because it attached in the scoop. After inspecting my 04 and comparing to the 06 I found the 04 has damage on the undercarriage where two descending bends in the plastic have been ground off going over parking bumps and driveways. I plan to build a steel plate to cover them and protect the bottom of the radiator. Does anyone else have that problem?

16. kinged

kinged New Member

I am confused. Without the mask, it is difficult to understand what you have just described. You mean you have 04 mask and 06 mask? and they are different? I am interested in buying 06 mask to fit 06 prius. I want to know if the 06 mask they sell is different than the 04, Thanks

17. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not speaking from personal experience, I read somewhere that everything about the 06 is the same as the 04-05 till you get the slightly redesigned bumper.

18. larryenok

larryenok New Member

I went through this with the Toyota Dealer, and they were very gracious about taking the bra back, even though I had roughed up the hooks a little.

The '06 front bumper is Different from the previous years. I can't tell you all the differences, but here are a couple: the spoiler under the bumper ads about 1 1/2 inches to the depth of the overall bumper, so the lower section of the bra won't fit properly. The lower grill is not the same and has stabilizer bars holding the longitudinal blades in place in slightly different locations which will cause the bra to wrinkle slightly when installed (even if the lower section is left loose) because it will pull differently. This is hard to explain, but the straps fit differently, and yes, with the bottom loose it would wrinkle anyhow, but. .

When I brought it up to the parts manager, he examined the car, went to his book and showed me, and reinforced for the salesman, that the book said it WOULD fit the '04-'06. He admitted they apparently didn't pay attention to the bumper modification. The manager also said that he would notify their supplier and let Toyota know.

Well, people on this thread probably know more about the problem than most. Wish it had come out before I bought the bra, which was right after I bought the car and too soon for this thread.

I, too, thought about taking off the spoiler, and realized soon enough that it would cause difficulties if I wanted to take the bra off to wash or polish the car (getting that darn thing off is NOT a simple task!) so reversed course and decided to return the item, OR have the dealer show me how I was installing it incorrectly.

19. kinged

kinged New Member

Thanks, I am holding off buying the front end mask.

20. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    larryenok,

Thank you, thank you.