1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coastaltech Hitch Receiver

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by electricity_guzzler, Jun 11, 2006.

1. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

The exhaust pipe touches the receiver cross member. I think the included hose clamp is supposed to tie the exhaust pipe to raise it up so it will not touch but i couldn't find a place to tie the clamp around. So what I did was tie the exhaust pipe with the hose clamp to the receiver cross member itself to prevent any rattling. I had to join two hose clamps because one wasn't long enough. I'm not sure if I should be worried about heat issues. Anybody else do like I did?

2. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricity_guzzler @ Jun 11 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]269730[/snapback]</div>
    You're supposed to wrap the SS clamp around the rear rubber hanger on the tailpipe, and tighten it to lift the muffler.

I may need to retighten mine, or get another clamp for the next rubber hanger up the string to lift it a bit more. It has buzzed every once in a while. Or I might just bend the crap out of the rear hanger bar on the muffler itself to lift it up a bit more.

3. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(talonts @ Jun 12 2006, 02:06 AM) [snapback]269856[/snapback]</div>
    oh. how come it wasn't in the instructions. or was it? maybe i didn't read carefully enough. i guess i'll have to redo my clamp. so far though, the way i did it seems to be working fine. no rattles. but long-term heat or corrosion may be an issue...

thanks

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are a couple other hitch designs out there that were done *correctly* and don't require you to move your exhaust out of the way! I'm actually pretty surprised that Coastal is still selling this thing!

Sorry, I know I'm not answering the question. I'm just mystified at this design. I saw one the other day and when I showed the driver of that car my Curt Hitch, he went home and ordered one that same day. His still buzzed against the exhaust sometimes, and his bike rack would sway way too much when cantelevered way out on that LONG reciever tube. I'm not a Spammer for Curt in any way - it just seems to be a much better design than the Coastal one.

5. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricity_guzzler @ Jun 12 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]270215[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, the instructions are not very clear. I sat (or laid) there for about five minutes thinking how this thing goes on. It does wrap around the rubber part and I tightened it all the way and it brought the muffler up about 3/4 inch. No rattling at all!!!!

Works like a charm with my Yakima rack!!!

[attachmentid=3780]

6. steved

steved Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 12 2006, 06:13 PM) [snapback]270221[/snapback]</div>
    I have installed the Coastal hitch and have been very happy with it. I did place the hose clamp over the rubber muffler mount and raised my tail pipe slightly above the hitch. I haven't heard any noises or rattles from the hitch.

The main reason I purchased the Coastal hitch was it was the only one with a 2" receiver. I can now use the same 2" receiver bike rack that I already owned and used with my 4Runner on the Prius. I know they make 1 1/4" to 2" adapters but they increase the length of the rack behind the hitch and significantly increase the force/loads on the receiver. They also can increase the motion of the bike rack relative to the car since you now have 2 connections (hitch to adapter, and adapter to bike rack) vs. one connection (hitch to bike rack). Each connection will have a small amount of play to enable the parts to be inserted into eachother.

7. davidf

davidf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricity_guzzler @ Jun 12 2006, 05:02 PM) [snapback]270215[/snapback]</div>
    I installed mine this morning. I found the instructions pretty step-by-step idiot proof (oh, I guess I did say I installed it -- must be! :) ). On mine, the last page of the 4-page instructions talks about how "occasionally, Toyota will mount the muffler slightly lower than is standard and this may cause the muffler tailpipe to make contact with the crossbar tube...". It then has instructions on installing the hose clamp with a picture.

Either you skipped the page (it could be easily missed) or this page is a more recent addition (mine just got here yesterday).

If you need the picture, let me know, I'll scan it in and post it.

8. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had my Coastaltech receiver for a few months now and i carry my bike once a week for 50-60 miles roundtrip @ 65-70mph. Everything has been good so far. No rattles, no swaying, exhaust clamp is okay also.

I actually picked the coastaltech because of its design. Unlike the Curt, it doesn't cover my exhaust so there's little or no risk of bumper "melting". I also REALLY liked how it tuck "deeper" inside the car, so it's not so visible. I've seen some hitches that line up with the end of the bumper and it's just not my taste; too visible.

I also recommend you all to go out and buy a Toyota Cap for the hitch. It's actually a "Tundra 2" receiver cap". Around $8.50 at your local dealer.

Oh, and it was actually delivered on time despite all the bad words that were/are going around about coastaltech. :)

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 12 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]270221[/snapback]</div>

Don't you just hate it when you have to eat your own words. :(

After all, our plastic isn't melting! :huh: