1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CoastalTech Hitch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by thollar, Apr 30, 2007.

1. thollar

thollar New Member

I just purchased a 1 1/4 hitch with a 200 lbs torque capacity. At Rack Attack, they suggest not putting a rack on a class 1 hitch. They feel that the weight of the rack and bikes will quickly go over the 200 lbs capacity. Anyone have suggestions on a light weight bike rack? What hitch bike racks have worked best for you?

Thanks.

Todd

2. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Todd_Hollar @ Apr 30 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]432767[/snapback]</div>
    Todd,
    You should check out these two threads which talk about success and failure with the coastal hitch.
    <blockquote>thread 1
    thread 2 </blockquote>
    I had a very bad experience with the 2" version while using a thule trailblazer rack.

The same rack, plugged into a 2" to 1 1/4 adapter worked very well on another vehicle with a 200lb limit (lots more torque with the adapter as well). That rack is very heavy, and I put 4 big bikes on it so the total weight was about 170 lbs. The thule racks seem to stick quite far out from the receiver as well which adds to the torque. Some other brands do not stick so far out. I modified the rack to allow it to sit deeper in the coastal receiver.

I recommend against using the 2" coastal receiver with bike rack without some modification to make it better handle that type of load. One of the threads shows a great idea for modifying it. The curt 1 1/4 design looks much sturdier than the coastal one. YMMV.

3. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Todd_Hollar @ Apr 30 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]432767[/snapback]</div>
    Please read the threads already posted, because the Coastal hitch needs support to do much of any kind of weight...that's why I chose the Curt hitch sold at Uhaul...same weight limit but doesn't have the torque problems.

Good luck.