1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CoastETech iPod Kit Soon?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by datavortex, May 11, 2005.

1. datavortex

datavortex New Member

Coastal Technologies recently (days? hours?) updated their front page to include the following language:
    I don't have much to add to this, other that w000000t! I have been waiting for this since before I even picked up my Prius, and this feature will finally make this car feel complete to me.

I hope everyone joins me in encouraging CoastalDave to get this thing to us as soon as he can. I can't give him money for this fast enough.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another tax return has been frittered away on other things (darn that new house) so it'll have to be CHEAP to get one soon.

'Soon', as far as Coastal goes, may leave plenty of time, though... :roll:

3. priusdave

priusdave Junior Member

i do hope it comes out soon... sounds really sweet! especially if it shows the songs and such on the screen that would be sweet!

4. rydot

rydot New Member

YAY!!!

Now if only they'd offer a High Quality replacement for the terrible "Premium JBL Amp" to pipe decent sound from the iPod into the rest of the system... ;)

5. bentdvr

bentdvr New Member

Don't expect it any time this year. Iv'e been waiting months for the NAV kit which I ordered the first day it was out and have not heard one damn word about. Pardon my french but Coastal has the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with.

That said, they do make quailty kits (if you can get them) :cussing:

6. GAGendel

GAGendel Junior Member

I wonder if Coastaltech will license out their products for others to manufacture? Seems like this would be a win-win situation... A steady income for Dave and a good supply for Prius owners. I know a few small shops around here that would be itching for the work.

7. priusdave

priusdave Junior Member

you know that would be a great idea....you should work on it

8. datavortex

datavortex New Member

I agree that licensing might be a good idea if Coastal just can't produce their wares fast enough. I'm a bit new to all this, but I've been similar gripes elsewhere online.

I just have one question nagging at me about it, though - can I replace the JBL amp that came factory installed with a more powerful aftermarket amp, and still have it work with the kit?

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If I understood Dave correctly over on PriusOnline, I believe outsourcing the build is exactly what he is working on.

The problem with replacing the amp is control. The header sends FIXED line level output R&L to amp, MFD sends control commands for the amp's DSP. The real problem is the DSP, I believe the amps themselves are decent.

10. rydot

rydot New Member

(sorry to continue off topic like this but..)

Isn't the DSP integrated into the AMP, or are they separate replaceable units (assuming one had a component that worked just like the DSP, only with higher quality)?

*drags self back onto the topic*

As soon as they're taking pre-orders on the iPod interface, I'll be in line! :)

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Integrated. But if someone were to modify the amp with a new DSP or ASP circuit with AVC control, then the amp would be vastly improved.

12. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey Dan, would you mind linking that thread? I'd like to read it, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding it. Thanks in advance.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I think Dave pulled it because he was the moderator of that forum and felt we were bashing him too much. All we were saying was that his CS skills were poor as a company.

14. GAGendel

GAGendel Junior Member

I just had a small discussion with Dave. It seems that he is working on some upgrades. He wants those that ordered to get the fruits of his new labor when they're complete. In addition, he hinted that he will have some new production capabilities.

My feeling is that he was sincere and that things will get better.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

All he had to do is tell us that, or at least post it on his website.

16. Armature

Armature New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As of a few minutes ago, Coastal has a new link on the website that goes to a picture of the iPod interface's screen display.

Things must be moving forward!!!???

17. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really hope Dave works out the kinks in his business. I would spend a lot of $$ his way if he did.

Has anyone ever gotten the Viewtech Audio/Video Interface?

18. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(datavortex\";p=\"88781)</div>
    But what can Dave's system do that this PAC-AUDIO AUX-POD can't? AUX-POD charges your iPOD, too. And the AUX-POD is here already:

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/aai.htm - scroll down to the bottom until you see AUX-POD.

19. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Areometer\";p=\"97442)</div>
    But what can Dave's system do that this PAC-AUDIO AUX-POD can't? AUX-POD charges your iPOD, too. And the AUX-POD is here already:

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/aai.htm - scroll down to the bottom until you see AUX-POD.[/b][/quote]

1. Touch Screen Control
    2. Display of title, artist, etc
    3 List by title, artist, play list etc
    4. Maybe others such as working with XM

20. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I 'think' that the AUX-POD allows you to control the iPOD via touchscreen virtual buttons as well as steering wheel physical buttons. This is from their site:
    On another page, it urges users to update their older iPOD software using Apple's iPOD Updater: http://www.pac-audio.com/bulletins/auxpod.htm