1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coasting,Gliding,SuperGlideCoasting,WarpingToasterSteathGlide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by darkecho, Aug 11, 2006.

1. darkecho

darkecho New Member

Ok, Hopefully this can help clarify the diverse knowledge on this site for myself and others who are trying to get a grasp on these terms.

1.) Coasting = Rolling with Only Green Arrows. Similar to Neutral but with a feeling of drag caused by friction throughout the regen processes.
    Can be acheived by simply letting off of the accelerator.

2.) Gliding = Rolling with No Arrows. Identical to Neutral?
    Can be acheived by going into Neutral

3.) Stealth = Driving with Only Yellow Arrows (electricity, no gas motor assistance). Car should be quiet.
    Can be acheived by driving slowly from stop to 41mph or until other factors cause ECU to engage gas motor.

4.) Warp-Stealth = Driving with Only Yellow Arrows above the normal limits of 41mph.
    Can be acheived by reaching peak speed, letting off gas, then reapplying gas gently to get Yellow Arrows. This allows the battery to spin the motor slowly to reduce drag.

Please assist me in making these definitions correct and accurate! Thanks!

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 11 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]301807[/snapback]</div>

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2... if you shift it into neutral.. i believe the car will keep the engine running... er.. turning electronically. i know it does this with the lexus.

4. hmm... kinda.. but not really no matter what, above 42, the engine turns.. and it's electronic already... so.. you're just using more electric..

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darkecho @ Aug 11 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]301807[/snapback]</div>
    Well as far a s gliding goes there is out put from the battery and ? MG2 to the PSD and the wheels? Making it "0" amps is possible but very difficult. At below 41.x mph it is enough to keep the "car" in what appears neutral i.e. not propelling the car but not breaking either. I would guess it spins the PSD just fast enough to keep everything else out of the energy equation. There is a small negative energy drain just under the resting levels as far as I can see. This is based on CAN-View observation. It is why I have chosen to give a little bit of charge rather than "0" amps of "dead band" on acceleration. Somehow the energy must be replaced and if I am charging 4-6 amps on acceleration and discharging the same on "gliding" the SOC stays neutral? I guess I am saying that gliding is variable depending on your ability to monitor the system. The MFD has a bit of round off error. When it says no arrows there may be a small bit of charge or discharge. OK it may only be important to propeller heads but is that bad? I think not! BTW has hilotrophead been around recently?

5. darkecho

darkecho New Member

Stealth and Warp-Stealth are the same in that you are feathering into Electric assistance mode...

from what I can see, the main difference between stealth and warp-stealth is that in Warp-stealth, the engine is turning (but not using fuel) and its not really...quiet...

stealth mode is using ONLY electricity, the motor is stopped.

is this correct?

this means that, when you are in either of these modes, the MFD should should only yellow arrows.