1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

coasting/gliding

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunshyne, Aug 20, 2007.

1. sunshyne

sunshyne New Member

I just got a Prius on Thursday and I wanted to know how you glide/coast? i used to come here fairly often last year, but i stopped. I guess I have a lot of catching up to do!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't....yet.
    Go drive your car, play around with it, get a feel for it. Try to learn to predict it's behavior, when will the ICE kick in. When will it shut off. Is it actually running even though I'm just coasting/gliding? Learn the feel for the accelerator. Learn the feel for the brakes. Learn how your pressure on the pedal will change what you see on the Energy screen.

let the tires and car break in. Find a nice route to work that avoids most of the traffic and highways if you can. Learn to time/anticipate the lights and stops and traffic behavior.

After about 3, 4, 5, maybe 6000 miles come on back and ask again. Or go to CleanMPG.com and read some of the hypermiling articles there. But if you start that before then I think you'll become a little frustrated and not really be able to take full advantage of pulse/glide when the time comes.