1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coda December 2012/January 2013 layoffs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Dec 11, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Coda Automotive undergoes "massive layoffs" *UPDATE

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hopefully they start selling some EV cars.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh, they've sold some. I recall reading of some people who bought them. ABG mentions that they sold less than 100, but it's unclear if those #s are reliable since Coda doesn't seem to report them.

IIRC, I did see an owned one a Hybrids2Hotrods earlier this year.

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coda selling enough cars to stay in business in a very small market? And the competition: Compare Side-by-Side

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, the Fit EV is a CA compliance car that's lease only w/puny "sales". FFE is virtually a compliance car. Ford doesn't seem to be trying real hard to sell them.

There's also the i-Miev... I hardly see any of those. I've seen some outside my immediate area but finally did see one at the closest supermarket to me. My area has a lot of battering ram of death class SUVs being driven solo and/or w/minimal cargo and passengers. Today, I saw TWO Hummer H2s moving around in that supermarket's parking lot at the same time. :(

In my immediate area, I do see a few Leafs here and there and a growing # of Volts. I've yet to see a single Coda anywhere except at auto shows. I've never seen a Fit EV in the wild in Nor Cal but saw 1 (or 2, might've been the same car) when I was in Irvine, CA. It was my 1st and only sighting in the wild.

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see plenty of Hybrids but in the pure EV world the Leaf is the most common sighting. Starting to see more PIP with the green stickers and Volts. Yet to see a Tesla besides at the showroom and UCSD green show.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to think it was a cool car designed from the ground up in a small sedan chassis. Turns out if's an outdated chinese rolling chassis with EV drive that isn't very impressive. I actually saw one the other day. Sad story overall.

9. kabin

kabin Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bummer about the layoffs. It looks Chinese. A huge gambled investment that'll probably turn out poorly.