1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Code P0A0F and P3191P after 12v change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Christopher Kim, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Christopher Kim

Christopher Kim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey guys so I recently got my hybrid battery replaced a couple weeks ago. It was driving fine, then my car started to restart on its own whenever I try to start it up, it would shut off then come back on after a minute or so I thought it was my 12v batter so I just replaced the 12v battery with my warranty but now I got these codes popping up. Any idea? It was driving fine before

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The good old failed to start and what have you codes You need to look over your ignition stuff real good look over your spark plugs every Prius I've got my hands on the spark plugs have been like hand tight in the head quite unnerving to me not necessarily going to do anything but I generally tighten them up or in the generation too since plugs can be changed easily without disassembling most of the top of the car when time permits I get the latest nip and then so plug for the car You want to check your MAF sensor clean it use a q-tip don't bend everything just clean it The q-tip is going to turn black If it's not you may not be doing it right so just get it clean he wanted maybe clean your throttle body and wipe the bottom of the throttle body out You don't have any codes for that so it's not necessarily anything going on with it but they do get oil in the bottom of them and enough can choke up things and generally wreak havoc but the MAF sensor for sure and just make sure all of your engine running gear is in good shape

Christopher Kim likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The throttle body may be the first place to start. The car learns how far open the throttle needs to be for starting and idling, and over time as there is buildup on the throttle body, you never notice any problem, as the car just keeps learning the right new throttle position, only changing a tiny bit at a time.

But then you have some work done that involves the power being disconnected, and you hook things back up and boom, P3191, because the ECM forgot the learned throttle position and went back to where it's supposed to be when the throttle body is squeaky clean. It's a known issue with lots of reports.

So, make the throttle body squeaky clean, and it'll often start right up.

Christopher Kim likes this.
  4. Christopher Kim

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    thank you for your input! I replaced my spark plugs recently and had it torqued down to spec with a torque wrench. Dont know where the MAF or throttle body is but I’ll def look into it. I did however clear the codes and have been driving it since. I’m hoping it doesn’t come back

5. Christopher Kim

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    thank you for your input! I don’t know where the throttle body is but I’ll def look into it. I did however clear the codes and have been driving it since. I’m hoping it doesn’t come back. Good sign?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, if you got it started successfully and have been driving it since, it has probably re-learned the right throttle positioning for the dirty throttle body by now, and you won't be having any more issues (until the next time the battery is disconnected, anyway).

It's worth letting people know about cleaning the throttle body in these situations, because sometimes, if it's a bit worse than yours apparently was, they will never end up getting the engine started without cleaning it first, and can end up draining the traction battery trying (which is a much bigger headache).

7. Christopher Kim

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks man! My car has 210,000 miles on it and I don’t know when the last time the throttle body was cleaned so I’m gonna go ahead and do it just in case

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure to disconnect the 12 V battery afterward so that the ECU starts with the defaults. It might not need it, but it won't hurt either.

Brian1954 and Christopher Kim like this.