1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Code P216B plus more

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kpeeling, Aug 20, 2024 at 8:38 PM.

1. Kpeeling

Kpeeling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2017 Prius V with about 208K miles. My check engine light came on and I checked it with the an app on my phone connected to the dongle plugged into the car. It appears to be related to a possible water pump issue according to the code. It has gone off and on by itself several times over the last few days. Today it not only came on but the yellow triangle warning light came on with a message about the hybrid system. I pulled over immediately because it seemed to have less than normal power (I was going 65 when this happened). I tried to run the app again but no new codes showed. I turned the car off for a minute and turned it back on and it was drivable with full power. I hit the clear code command and both the check engine and yellow triangle disappeared. I cautiously drove the rest of the way home without incident or warnings. I even stopped on the way turning the car off and back on again but no warnings. I hate to pay a dealer to check anything. Could it all be related to the water pump not spinning as expected? Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, you have a problem with the engine water pump. Replace it ASAP! OEM pump is preferred.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll assume there's a typo in your title and you meant the code P261B for insufficient RPM of the engine water pump. That lights the check-engine light. (For a short time, you may be able to edit the title here to fix the typo, and other people doing searches won't miss your thread. If that button has gone away already, you can use the Report button and ask the mod to fix it.)

If the engine coolant temperature reaches 105℃ while there is a water pump trouble code, the ECM shuts the engine right off. It doesn't even take the time to explain this to the power management control ECU, so the power management control ECU sets its own code P0A0F (meaning, roughly, "uhh, engine? is there a problem?") and lights the triangle. Then you have only whatever short distance of electric motor power is available from the battery.