1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

code P3009, P3000, P1120

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nkcrowell, Sep 22, 2006.

1. nkcrowell

nkcrowell New Member

All -- I posted a couple of weeks ago about getting code P3009 and being told the car was unsafe to drive, would cost me $4700 to replace Hybrid battery etc.

(Sorry, but I could not find that thread again.)

Last update - we 'cleaned' the contacts on the accelerator pedal and the car has run perfectly ever since - no warning lights, no issues, etc.

Out of curiosity my husband took it to another dealer today and got them to just run a scan and give us the codes they found.

Here's what they found: P3000, P3009; P1120. The first two relate to the battery, the third to the accelerator pedal.

Since the car is running normally, I'm inclined to ignore this information. However, I'm afraid if I ignore it for too long I'm looking at major issues. The thing is, if we had not gone and gotten the code readout there would be no indication there was any issue with the car.

I called Toyota about the ECU battery replacement I had a couple of weeks ago (which I suspect was unnecessary since it did not correct the problem) and the dealer was supposed to call me back within 3 days. That was four days ago and they have not called yet.

So I've put about 1000 miles on the car since we got the 'bad' news from the original code report.

Suggestions?

Car is 2001 with 209K + miles on it - I am original owner. Have had all recalls, regular maintenance

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    have they cleared the error codes before, and these are being reset? or are these just left from when you were having problems?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What Gal's getting at is that the codes stay in the system for a long time...I forget how many restarts, but a long time unless they are manually cleared by your dealer or by an appropriately equipt scan tool.

4. nkcrowell

nkcrowell New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]323675[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks - no, nothing has be re-set and they are the same codes we saw before. Someone on another thread suggested we undo the 12V battery for a few minutes and that would re-set the codes. I think I've also read that that would cause the settings on the radio to go away though.

I wish there were a simple 're-set' button. :blink:

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EarlyAdapter @ Sep 22 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]323754[/snapback]</div>
    If you know someone with the ScanGage they can read and clear the codes. I can do it with my CAN-View as well....too bad you didn't ask the dealer to clear them when he pulled them the other day. That way you'd know if they were still being triggered...though they're probably not if you're not getting the CELs any more.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 23 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]323850[/snapback]</div>
    If there's an AutoZone in your area, they will read and reset codes for free (NHW20 owners, I don't know if their OBD2 scanner handles CAN).

JeffD