1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Code Scan

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by yaoaoatgyf, Aug 15, 2017.

1. yaoaoatgyf

yaoaoatgyf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just want to be sure. Tried a search, and could not find a definitive answer.

I have a cheapo scanner, but it has worked on everything from a Nissan to a Mercedes for my needs.

Scanning codes on the Prius; is it different than most vehicles. Normally, I plug in the scanner, then turn the key on, but do not start the car. With the Prius, do I need to start the car before it will scan?

If so, what is the correct procedure after scanning, and or erasing codes? Do I turn the engine off, then remove the key, then unplug the scanner? Something different?

Thanks for any help.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you need tech stream. other scanners will read some codes, but not all. search for mini vci, you will find way more than you ever wanted. all the best!(y)

3. yaoaoatgyf

yaoaoatgyf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Don't remember the brand name of my scanner, but it read and deleted the codes just fine. Had no warning lights on the dash.
    Drove it a few miles and of course, the triangle came back on, along with brake warning, and CE light. All of which was expected. I just wanted to see which codes set it off. Checked the codes and the only one was "replace hybrid battery pack". I just wanted to be certain before I took the plunge. I cannot see trying to replace individual modules on a 10 year old pack. So, buying the Toyota batt from the dealer.

Other than that, the car runs and drives well. Smooth engine, smooth trans, and no weird noises.

Will report back after the batt swap.

Lynn

Meg&Bear and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, all the best!(y)

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, but you need a "Prius aware" scanner to get all the codes. An el cheapo scanner probably will only read generic OBDII codes.
    Pretty much the same (except "turn the key on" equals press the start button twice [IG-ON mode]) and you do not need to actually make the car READY unless you want to view live data monitors.
    Turn the car off, then unplug the scanner is minimum.
    No dash lights equals no permanent codes stored.
    Presumably this was a P0A80. There may have been others your scanner couldn't see.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  6. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you mean you cannot see NEEDING to replace modules on a 10 yr old pack. Wanna bet?

How many miles you have on it? I've torn down the pack in my 2006 twice the last two years and need to again. I think it had around 180,000 the first time. It's got 255,000 now. It runs fine for a good while with a code, though with less gpm. But it starts doing strange things eventually.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Read the entire post again. They're saying (in a roundabout way) replacing modules is not a viable option (for them) and chose to get a new Toyota pack. (y)

8. yaoaoatgyf

yaoaoatgyf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Exactly. I realize I may get a few months, maybe even a year by replacing whatever individual modules test low, but don't see the point in patching a 10 year old batt pack, so getting a brand new onw.