1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Codes p1116 and p1121

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ascensionist, Apr 17, 2020.

1. ascensionist

ascensionist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Howdy--first time poster (but long time user of the forum; you guys have saved me countless dollars--thanks.).

2008 Prius
    Throwing codes P1116 and P1121
    Replaced the 3 Way-Coolant Flow Valve and bled the system of air. Cleared codes, all was well for about 50 miles, but then the check engine light reappeared and P1116 and P1121 were again being thrown. In light of having changed the valve, what else could be wrong? The new valve I installed is bad? I didn't get all the air out of the system? Thoughts?

Thank you!

AltraStache likes this.
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As you can see from the workup in post #2 for the P1116, this code relates to the information the computer is seeing from the temperature sensor. The computer does not think what it is seeing can be correct. One reason would be air in the CHS tank not flowing in or out due to an airlock. Did you bleed the CHR? Another reason might be a faulty sensor. Again, the workup will guide you through various checks to point you in the right direction.

The workup for P1121 describes how to use Techstream (or other capable and fully functioned OBDII diagnostic tool) to exercise the three-way coolant control valve, so you should be able to verify whether it is functioning correctly.

AltraStache and ascensionist like this.