1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Codes p1116 and p1121on my 08 Prius car runs fine no issues except check engine light- failed inspec

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zivram, Aug 16, 2021.

1. zivram

zivram Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone help please? My 08 Prius check engine light was intermittent but now on all the time- car runs great. Went for state inspection and they gave me codes p1116 and p1120. Failed inspection.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Umm, you posted in the Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting forum. But your profile and the codes you have would indicate the problem is with a Gen 2 Prius.

Both these codes would come on a Gen 2 and I don't think they'd ever show on a Gen 3, 4, or a Prime.

P1116 is the temperature sensor next to the "thermos" (coolant heat storage) that stores engine coolant when you shut off your car. It's not seeing the right temperature. Easy to replace. The 1121 has to do with the coolant control valve on the bottom of that canister and is likely the cause of the P1116. It's also not very hard to replace. I have replaced both of them.

The coolant tank is behind the left headlight down at the bottom. I got to mine by taking off some of the bottom panels between the wheel and the bumper.