1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Codes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rufaro, Sep 28, 2007.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so here I was, wondering how ANYBODY could BELIEVABLY claim they did not "understand" that playing footsie in men's room toilet stalsl was a gay message (per [ex] Sen. Larry Craig of Idaho), when, tonight, I was out strolling around downtown Anchorage--as downtown as Anchorage gets, anyway...I was not bundled up to my eyebrows, but my coat was not zipped up. (For those of you who don't know, I am female, by the way.) It's about 1am. I am strolling because I genuinely enjoy SEASONS, and it is, indeed, autumn here (right now, it is about 45 fahrenheit, which we, in my bit of Northern California, we don't get except in the dead of winter--but, yes, I am originally from the eastern part of the continent.)

Yes, I AM getting to the point.

Slowly, but I am getting there...(Oh yeah, and I heard a statistic today that I don't know if it's true, but it sounds good...if Manhattan Island had the same population density as Alaska, there would be three people living in Manhattan.)

Some guy on the street just now asked me a question I didn't exactly hear all of at first, but thought it sounded like "Are you looking for John?" I wasn't sure I had heard, and didn't think he was asking for money, and he looked as young as my son, so I stopped, as I was walking, with my LL Bean winter coat unzipped over a tunic top, and my hands in the pockets of my loosely fitting black jeans, and said, "I'm sorry?" The question came back, very definitely as, "Are you looking for John?"

I got very puzzled, said something brilliant along the lines of, "Um, no." "Oh, I thought you were."

Did someone just think I was a hooker, and I missed it? Could I have earned some extra pocket money if I'd been thinking? Could Sen. Craig really just have a wide stance when he sets down on the throne?

WHY would I think the anonymous foot tap is an obvious code for sex, but wonder--MUCH later--if someone asking me if I'm looking for John might not also be a code????

Or was it maybe some Boy Scout trying to earn a badge for being kind to old folks?

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    a: Definitely not a Boy Scout.

b: C'mon, you're not that old.

c: You don't need the pocket money that badly.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He might have been waiting for someone? Possibly, could be...prob'ly not though.

Anchorage...whatcha doing up there...that's where I worked and near where I lived for 3 years ('97-'00). Nobody ever asked if I was a hooker though...

4. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 29 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]519020[/snapback]</div>
    That's 'cause they never saw you in those purple leather pants....

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    your optimal reply:

"are you looking for a trip to the dentist?"

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Sep 28 2007, 06:46 AM) [snapback]518917[/snapback]</div>
    ...and two of them would be alcoholics.

Tom

7. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "I was not bundled up to my eyebrows, but my coat was not zipped up. (For those of you who don't know, I am female, by the way.) It's about 1am."

I am a female as well...don't take this the wrong way...but ...what the h... were you doing out strolling about at 1am ???

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Sep 29 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]519165[/snapback]</div>
    She was enjoying a "season."
    Probably the same way that Senator Craig likes to enjoy a good dump every once in a while . . . without a second thought of perception or of the suspicion it could cause.

As long as Rufaro doesn't plead guilty, she is free to take a late night "stroll," with her jacket unzipped, anywhere she wishes in the greater Anchorage area . . . even if it is just down the street from the Great Alaskan Bush Company (strip club). ;)

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always thought "two taps" meant the guy needed toilet paper.

10. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Back in California now...And got dumped out of my WiFi connection so could not either read replies or sign out all weekend...
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 29 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]519017[/snapback]</div>
    a) NOT boy scout, I guess I pretty much figured...
    b ) Maybe not, but I sure FELT that way, and c) Do you KNOW how expensive Alaska is??? <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 29 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]519020[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I may or may not be THAT old, Evan, but I'll still be willing to bet I'm lots CUTER than you are! (Oops--that's sexist--I'm sure you are VERY cute--but I'm 5' tall.) What I was doing up there was one of the (very) few things I do when I am not obsessing about Prii--I was at a convention with my mother. This one was unusual because my younger sister was also there--we were trying to pack the ballot box for the (quite prestigious) Anthony awards, for one of which my mother's website was nominated, in the Special Services category (and NO, it was not THAT kind of "SPECIAL" services. (And, sadly, Mom did not win.) Nor, for that matter, was it THAT kind of convention (for those of you who do not care to follow the links). Mom and I were there for another, similar, convention in 2001, and now we are all planning on going back in the February of 2010, just after my 50th b'day in Dec. 2009, for the Anchorage Fur Rendezvous and the start of the Iditarod (we missed the Iditarod start in '01--when they had to truck in snow...<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 29 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]519102[/snapback]</div>
    Galaxee, THAT reply would have required me to have figured out what the hell was going on WAAAAYYYY before I did... <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Sep 29 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]519165[/snapback]</div>
    What was I doing? I was strolling, and enjoying the weather I don't get in California (but grew up with in New York and Montreal). If I was male, would you ask that? And, I guess if I'd gotten raped, it was because I was asking for it by having my parka unzipped. No, I don't think I'm taking this the wrong way, but...oh no never mind--I was out strolling BECAUSE I was out looking for abuse.

AOV--I am a New Yorker (CITY) by origin. If you think it is ok for a woman to have to worry the way you seem to believe, then I do not want to live in your world. I was out strolling to enjoy the WEATHER. You think it's ok to have to even think about this because I don't have a penis? It was 1am and I felt like going for a walk in a downtown area where the main crimes are basically drunks falling down on the sidewalk in front of you, who you might trip over.

Oh dang.

I'm a girl.

I shouldn't go outside.

If you restrict YOUR activities stictly on the basis of your being female, well, YOU are wrong. I take into consideration WHERE I am, and if it is generally otherwise safe.

I have to say, don't take this the wrong way, but I can't understand, or accept, living as scared--or judgementa(ly)--as you do.

It was a beautiful night. I couldn't sleep.

Were you on OJ's jury? Or Mike Tyson's?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Sep 30 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]519460[/snapback]</div>
    One of my fellow conference attendees set me...umm...straight...about this encounter of mine--HE was asking ME if I wanted to pay HIM. Or he wanted some toilet paper.

Oh yeah--and I saw all of about about four Prii while I was there. But that was ok, as I didn't see a SINGLE hummer...

And I didn't give any, either.

11. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Oct 1 2007, 04:35 AM) [snapback]519743[/snapback]</div>
    I am a New Yorker as well (never lived in Manhattan though) ..have moved about 20 times in my lifetime, all over the suburbs in NY, and now upstate NY, probably my last move in the State. So, I can honestly say, that there is not a neighborhood that I have lived in (as a child or a grownup) that I would feel comfortable walking by myself at 1am in the morning. It's not the neighborhood themselves that are bad, its those "others", the ones that don't live in the neighborhood, and are not out there to enjoy "a beautiful night" like you wanted to do, that is the problem.

I am sorry to say, that we do not live in a safe world, and has nothing to do in being a female.

My son, (lives and attends college in Florida) being young and very socially active, keeps late hours and has mentioned numerous of times of how "unsafe" he feels at 1, or 2 o'clock in the morning...and that last time I remember (when he was a little boy) and if he hasn't lost it....he still should have a p_ _ _. The neighborhood itself is a decent one, its those who travel through it, looking for something to do, something to take and get for nothing. I have also told him, warned him, he should keep shorter hours and be home earlier. But...he is young.
    So, I disagree....what gender we are, has nothing to do with it.
    I am a girl, and I do go outside, and I don't restrict my activities, yet my activities would never be taking a walk in a downtown area where there are drunks falling on the sidewalk in front of me. I walked plenty of times through areas like that in my youth, it was during daytime hours as well, I had to, was not a choice, it was the way to go, from school to home.
    I am just a cautious person, I try to plan my travels wisely, and not take any unnecessary chances.

Anyways, good to hear you had a safe trip, and sorry if I seemed to be too judgemental.

12. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Oct 1 2007, 07:01 AM) [snapback]519787[/snapback]</div>
    I apologize to you for my tone. No, overall, it is not a "safe" world, sadly. However, I, too, do plan my travels wisely. And, having lived in NYC, DC, London and Boston, among other places, and walking within a two-block radius of the Anchorage Hilton, where there were 700 other out-of-towners (many of whom are mystery writers), never mind the doormen who knew me by then, and knowing that falling-down-drunks in Anchorage were not a concern, since they seem to only do harm to themselves or others in their parties, no, I did not worry. Sorry if I assumed your comments were based on gender. I still believe that there was no physical threat to me. I STILL find the, um, encounter, amusing. The drunks were only interested in one another. And no one threatened me in any way. Most of Florida is much less safe, per capita, than virtually any city in Alaska. Yes, there were/are/have been rapes/murders in and around Anchorage. Virtually all have been not of "Outsiders."

And SPE...I don't THINK the Alaskan Bush Company exists any more. I could be wrong about that, as well.