1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coincidence or something more sinister?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, it has to be coincidence, but...

I purchased a couple of cans of an energy drink -- NOS -- at a local discount store (Bi-Mart for those of you in the USA PNW). Paid with my credit card -- I actually bought several items coming close to $100USD.

The next day I was reading a news site -- don't recall which, maybe Oregonlive or SFGate and all of a sudden I am bombarded with ads for NOS. I asked one of the grandkids if they could go on the same site with their phone and see if they get any NOS ads, None,

I have never googled NOS or looked up NOS on my computer -- nor any other energy drink -- well -- maybe coffee a year or five ago....

Could it be.,,,, Nah -- at least I hope Nah:eek::eek:

Uh, just to add, I buy NOS maybe a couple of times a year -- usually at 7-11 or some such and never with a credit card before IIRC.

#1 Stevewoods, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not a coincidence, but not capital S sinister. The advertisers likely got the data from the store, not the credit card.

Stevewoods likes this.
  3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Stevewoods likes this.
  4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Next time I buy my .22-caliber shorts, using cash -- at Big Five -- no membership, :confused:

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Don't use a coupon either. Companies track where those were used too.

6. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    If you want something more sinister...

There is a device (Stingray) used by police to intercept cell phone conversations. They can only use it with a warrant. Police are so paranoid about the use of the device that they have been known to drop all charges against a criminal to avoid admitting that the Stingray was used to gather the evidence.

This applies to THIS thread because... Some businesses use a similar but less sophisticated technique just to figure out where you are in the store. They can track the source of your blue-tooth transmissions to see that you are in the liquor aisle, or that you are at the checkout stand... where you use your credit card.

Knowledge of what you shop for can be very expensive for the customer.

Consider The ultimate salesman story:

[​IMG]
    A young guy from North Dakota moves to Florida and goes to a big "everything under one roof" department store looking for a job.

The Manager says, "Do you have any sales experience?"

The kid says "Yeah. I was a vacuum salesman back in North Dakota ."

Well, the boss was unsure, but he liked the kid and figured he'd give him a shot, so he gave him the job. "You start tomorrow. I'll come down after we close and see how you did."

His first day on the job was rough, but he got through it. After the store was locked up, the boss came down to the sales floor. "How many customers bought something from you today?"

The kid frowns and looks at the floor and mutters, "One".

The boss says "Just one?!!? Our sales people average sales to 20 to 30 customers a day. That will have to change, and soon, if you'd like to continue your employment here. We have very strict standards for our sales force here in Florida . One sale a day might have been acceptable in North Dakota , but you're not on the farm anymore, son."

The kid took his beating, but continued to look at his shoes, so the boss felt kinda bad for chewing him out on his first day. He asked (semi-sarcastically), "So, how much was your one sale for?"

The kid looks up at his boss and says "$101,237.65".

The boss, astonished, says $101,237.65?!? What the heck did you sell?"

The kid says, "Well, first, I sold him some new fish hooks. Then I sold him a new fishing rod to go with his new hooks. Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down the coast, so I told him he was going to need a boat, so we went down to the boat department and I sold him a twin engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to the automotive department and sold him that 4x4 Expedition."

The boss said "A guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a boat and a TRUCK!?"

The kid said "No, the guy came in here to buy tampons for his wife, and I said, 'Dude, your weekend's shot, you should go fishing.’

srellim234, Stevewoods and tochatihu like this.
  7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Enjoyed Dan's story,

All this tracking stuff sort of reminds me of what goes around comes around?

Back when I was a little kid (you know when dinosaurs could still be found in remote areas), if you were a typical "little kid" you had about a dozen or so moms...meaning when you were out on the street, roaming around town, there were always neighborhood folks who had an eye out for you -- don't like to call them busybodies. More like "extra parents."

Good, bad or indifferent, if you got into something, odds were not bad that your parents would hear about it. That seemed to have disappeared in the past couple of decades. Indeed there was a news story over the weekend about how most people now have never even talked to their neighbors.

But, still, if you go outside (who knows, maybe if you stay inside), odds are your actions will be caught on some camera, I know law enforcement also has cameras all around that are monitoring license plates, etc.

Oh -- btw -- I did the propublicia thing mentioned above and I AM NOT be tracked by Verizon/Twitter. My cell service IS Verizon. I am not even sure how twitter works and I have no twitter account

#7 Stevewoods, Oct 31, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sinister my butt!!!
    If there was a store that sold boat, motors, trailer, and a 4x4 Expedition for ONLY $101,237.65 (especially after Bidenomics!) then they would not need to advertise!!!

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That article is 8 years old. Is Verizon's "header enrichment" since active? ProPublica's "Does Your Phone Company Track You?" tool says that my mobile device is not so tracked.

Though they might be using other methods now. There are plenty of potential hooks to use.

10. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    There are sooo many ways for an ISP (or cellular company) to tag your data stream with an identifier. I have not looked into their current activities, but a quick scan of data passed to my server when my phone is in hotspot mode shows nothing out of the ordinary.

11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hope I'm not too late to join this threads party. If I thought it would make a difference I'd write a first hand account concerning strange co incidents, I could but I doubt it would be a very interesting read, at least for most people living ordinary lives. I liked the Ultimate Salesman too. From my perspective, I can remember when someone, not me, but someone could get into a early 70's Eldorado for just under 7 grand.
    I think the Ultimate Salesman is not a story one is going to hear circulating around the gen X Y or Z crowds circles.
    If you lived in NYC tri state area (NY NJ CT) in the 60's and had a transistor radio at the ball park or the beach you could hear a few thousand times a day one advertising genius campaign called Instant REPLAY REPLAy REPLay REPlay REplay etc etc etc followed by the same song that had just finished playing a couple of seconds pryor.
    I doubt anyone listening even thought twice about it either. Cousin Brucey WABC AM NYC.

#11 vvillovv, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t believe so. I think it is explained by parents with kids tend to know other parents with kids.
    I know some of my neighbors. When I was a kid, I knew lots of other kids, and my folks knew all their parents.
    In the last neighborhood I lived in, most families had kids. We had neighborhood pot-lucks and many other events.

We moved into a neighborhood with fewer kids, and we have fewer of those type of events.