1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold Starts? MIL & CEL Lights...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by czyfrme, Dec 27, 2007.

1. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a question/problem.

I've been experiencing this wonderful display of Malfunction Indicator Lights and Check Engine Lights since the temperature here has dipped below 40F (sorry I don't know the conversion to Celsius) almost every day when starting my '01 Prius (98k). <sarcasm off>

I took it to the stealership when it first started happening and they pulled a code that said the "engine didn't start within 6 seconds", but nothing else was wrong. They told me to keep an eye on it. Well the two lights have been coming on almost every day since I took it to them. I just turn them off (thanks to PriusChat for that little bit of info) and head on my way. This occurs when the car has sat for a long while, overnight or while I'm at work (8 hrs).

What happens when I turn the key is this: it will run for about 30 seconds and then the lights (always both) come on and the engine dies. Sometimes the engine shutters off violently. But it always restarts and I always get the lights to go off. Nothing seems to be different when driving the car, I have no problems otherwise.

Any suggestions?

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Czyfrme,

The most common problem with Prii of that vintage, exhibiting that problem is a sticky electric throttle. A throttle cleaning is the first thing to do.

On here , or Hobbit's or Robert Wilson's web site I think I remember seeing the proceedure for cleaning the throttle body. Do a search on Throttle Body Cleaning and see if you can find a link...

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus