1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold weather connection to engine warning light?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by audreyjgreene, Nov 12, 2007.

1. audreyjgreene

audreyjgreene New Member

I've driven my 2003 Prius all through last winter and have never had the problem I encountered Saturday morning when I started it after our first really cold night here. The system warning triangle with the exclamation point came on; very scary. I stopped the car but when I called my service dept, they said that this often happens in the cold. Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning yielded the same results, but Sunday afternoon, after the sun had been shining on it for a few hours, the warning light did not come on. It didn't come on this morning either, despite the lowest overnight temps so far. What is up? Can I drive the car? What process is happening with the cold and the engine?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In an '03 you might see the turtle symbol, but I wouldn't expect the triangle of death. There may have been some other minor issue and now, after a few restarts, the problem no longer exists so the warning went away...not totally sure.
    I would think it worth while to take it in and ask them to do a diagnostic check and pull the codes to see if maybe something else could be wrong.

BTW, please update your information, your profile says you have an '08 package 9.