1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold Weather is killing us!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by priusham, Nov 15, 2004.

1. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    'fusco's thread on his AVG MPG dropping for the past couple of weeks has caused quite a bit of chatter. Like everyone else north of the Mason-Dixon line, my Pri's mileage has taken a severe hit too.

http://www.w8kc.com/priusmileage.htm

Anyone want to bet that there's going to be a few Prius drivers wrapped up in layers rather than to use the ICE to run the heater?

ICE... heh heh... kinda ironic, doncha think? :roll:

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    just think,though, even though the prius takes a mileage hit...if you were driving the old stuff, and were getting 15mpg, now your getting 9 or 10mpg...we wouldnt hear any body complaining...just seen a "stupid" down the street warming up his 78 bronco and idling away letting the heater defrost the ice on window...he was there for 30 minutes...now i know that ol bronco(used to have one yrs ago) would only get 10mpg on a good day and a 40 gal tank wouldnt last long...so you know, today that bronco with a holley 4bbl carb will only get 6mpg in weather like this...besides all the garbage out of the tail pipe as well...as im typing, the ol rust bucket just flew down the street, with no muffler...and moisture/gas streaming out the back...and the dumbing of america continues...............

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wb9tyj\";p=\"50533)</div>
    Don't they have laws regarding mufflers?

4. Joel

Joel New Member

The weather here has dropped to the 50s and 50s and my MPGs dropped from 49 average to 47 average :-(

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Everybody is taking a hit. I have dropped from 52-53 to 49-50 and we have mild weather changes in the PNW. We and in the mid 40's in the am and low 50's in the pm. I checked my air pressure?! How many people measure their gas millage by tenths?

6. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree... I check my tire pressure and its normal... Cold weather is bad! At this point I lost at least 2mpg to 4mpg :cry:

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As many people have pointed out, everybody takes a hit in cold weather. But it really is more painfully obvious in a Prius because the average MPG is so much higher. Here is a quick comparison showing three cars, a Prius (55 ave), a sedan (30 ave) and an SUV (20 ave). All three take a 15% MPG hit in cold weather:

Prius: 55 -> 46.75 MPG
    Sedan: 30 -> 25.5 MPG
    SUV: 20 -> 17 MPG

It's sad that the SUV driver could actually boast that they only see a 3MPG hit in the winter. Granted, 15% might be conservative, but the impact will always be more noticable in a Prius.

Personally, the cold snap hit Chicagoland the day of my last fill-up. Not bad enough to affect the last tank's average of 50, but the new tank is currently at 44.2.

8. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    <sigh> looks like a long... cold... low MPG winter.

With the "Icy Road Warning Light" reminding me every mile of the way...

:) Low MPG... still more than DOUBLE of the old car!

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The cold weather effect is MUCH more noticeable in the Prairie provinces and North West Ontario, in addition to the Dakota's, Minnesota, etc. I took a double-whammy thanks to lows of 20's F, and construction forcing me to take a very inefficient slow stop-n-go, with the ICE running most of the time. Try 34 miles per U.S. gallon! A person at the office with his 2004 Dodge Hemi truck reports 5 MPG in the same conditions, so maybe I shouldn't complain too much.

10. rflagg

rflagg Member

I hope my Prius doesn't take too big of a hit when I get to Toronto from Washington DC in a year or two, have to wait and see!

-m.

11. jchu

jchu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"51057)</div>
    I know... Its the 'Icy Road Warning Light' not the ambient temperature causing the drop in mileage!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. ScoopBergen

ScoopBergen New Member

My gas mileage dropped 10 percent in the two tanks following my 5,000-mile oil change. I called the Toyota service manager and he said the "problem" was oxygenated gas, which apparently we in New Jersey have to use during cold weather. Does this make sense? If it's so, why do we have to use oxygenated gas?

Puzzled (and maybe mad) in New Jersey

:cussing:

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas\";p=\"51036)</div>
    Pretty much anyone getting less than 20 MPG.

14. rflagg

rflagg Member

When I get gas tonight, it'll be at 52MPG, 560 miles, but then again we've only had 5 or 6 mornings of below freezing here yet, and I refuse to use the heater unless absolutely necessary.

-m.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScoopBergen\";p=\"51189)</div>
    Because it is cleaner and winter traffic is much worse than summer.

Too bad everyone didn't have a PZEV hybrid. Then that wouldn't be necessary.

16. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey it's been a little warmer this week!!! my last tank was an even 50.0 mpg yeee-ahhhh

17. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jchu\";p=\"51158)</div>
    If I cover the icon over with black tape, my mileage will go up?? (heads to basement to find electrical tape). :D
    It has been a little warmer the last couple of days, high about 50. I managed to get my current tank avg up from 45.0 to 45.7 today. I have about 300 miles on it at the moment. But I don't track by tenths. ;-)

18. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I love my Prius... although I did see a drop in MPG... I got gas today... 45MPG when I got my book out to fill in the numbers.. I missed the WHOLE month of October with the need for gas...WOO-HOO... really ticked the little lady at the station as I had to gloat... think she is almost sold on getting a Prius...says she has three Prius customers.. althought she doesn't see us often..

Bob Andersen

19. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobA\";p=\"51232)</div>
    Regular, but not frequent. Just the way we like it. :)

20. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Temps back into the 60s today...with rain...MPG creeped back up into the low 50s today, a pleasant surprise, now if only the precipitation would take a hike...