1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold Weather Performance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sid, May 23, 2005.

1. Sid

Sid New Member

How is the performance, acceleration, top speed, etc. in below-freezing temperatures?
    In sub freezing temperatures is a longer warm up time needed than gas-only engines?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if you'd want to go at top speed in sub-zero temps seeing that usually, there'll be some sort of white stuff on the ground. There is a thermos that stores hot coolant that helps. The bladder in the fuel tank loses 5L capacity at -10°C (14°F) otherwise it handles like a normal car. Slap on a set of good winter tyres and perhaps look for the package with VSC and you'll be safe

Edit: I forgot to mention that the TCS is quite sensitive. I have gotten stuck before (though I got out by rocking), Jayman has gotten stuck on his famous ramp story :D. and I can back him up with my rather embarrassing uphill climb.

3. Sid

Sid New Member

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't go "top speed" on icy roads, but if it's just cold, I'd still want to be able to accelerate and merge with traffic without slugishness.
    Also, I'm unclear about the fuel tank bladder loss of 5L. What does that mean?

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh you *had* to bring THAT up, didn't you?? :oops:

Seriously, as far as "performance" the Prius is better than conventional cars in very cold temps. Although my condo has heated underground parking, I've parked it outside a few times at my hobby farm.

Even not plugged in, at -40 it starts instantly, which is very impressive itself. The electric assist is also available to provide immediate power. At temps colder than -25 C, most cars are very sluggish.

Cold is just not a problem as far as basic car performance goes. Now that I've got 16,000km on mine, I'll switch to a synthetic motor oil. Next winter I'll either run a synthetic 0W-30 or 0W-20 to ensure reliable -40 performance.

Performance on slippery road surfaces is another matter entirely. The Trac is *very* sensitive, so even in conditions where mild wheel spin is beneficial, you're going nowhere. Some Prius owners have commented on great traction on snow/ice even with stock tires.

I finally slapped on some Dunlop Graspic DS-2 winter tires on steel rims. With those tires I can easily blow the doors off a 4x4 at a green light.

The fuel "loss" means the bladder inside the fuel tank will shrink with cold temps, so you can't put in the rated fuel capacity. I like to keep my tank topped off in cold temps to avoid fuel icing problems, also in case of an emergency a full tank can save your life.

Jay

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Jay.

I had a similar experience at the U.

Sid, what Jay said is right. The bladder will shrink and expand depending on outside temperature.

6. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sid -

"Also, I'm unclear about the fuel tank bladder loss of 5L. What does that mean?"

It's been said that the fuel tank will shrink; well, here is the technical reason. In the case above L = Liters.

In the world of physics there is a phenomenon known as thermal expansion and gas law.
    An object will change in linear length and volume with a change in temperature.

For the equation below we will use metric (because imperial sucks!):
    beta (of gas) = 3 x 10^-4 C°^-1
    Volume of expansion: (delta) Volume = beta x Volume x (delta) Temp
    Tank capacity: 11.9 gallons = 45.046 liters = .045 meters^3

So, if you were to fill up your tank at 10 degrees C and the temperature drops to -10 degrees C:
    (3x10^4)(.045m^3)(20 degrees C) = 2.7 x 10^-4 meters^3
    You will "loose" .27 Liters of fuel.

Or you will loose .0135 Liters of Fuel for every degree C change of a lower temperature.
    Of course, if you fill up when the temperature is low you will gain .0135 Liters of fuel for every degree C change of a higher temperature.

It should also be said that the density of air is higher at lower temperatures, which means your Prius will have to work harder to "push" through the thicker air.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Besides the gas itself shrinking, the bladder itself shrinks, thus causing it to hold less volume of its contents, which in our case is gasoline.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I sure hope we don't have to drop a couple of FloMax tablets into the tank at every fillup.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [​IMG]

Between having taken that photo and the 5 winters in Minnesota with a Prius, I think I'm well qualified to answer the question.

The battery-pack likes the cold. Keeping cool is of no concern during those harsh winter months. So the electric side is actually favored more when in comes to power than in the summer... believe it or not.

Startup is a snap... something traditional cars can be quite jealous of, since their motors & battery are so tiny in comparison.

Speed is a non-issue. You can effortlessly maintain 70 MPH for hours on end. But you really don't want to. Pushing through that dense winter air using the less efficient winter-formula fuel pushes the MPG down. But then again, that's true for all vehicles.

Getting heat is surprisingly fast (of course, it's like cheating having that thermos). The system does a really good job of retaining it too. So you can still drive in stealth at times.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John:

I find in city driving in temps colder than -30 C, the ICE has to run constantly. When I leave my heated condo parking in the morning, the first red light it will shutdown. The next light around 3 km down the road and it stays running.

Now that the temps are +25 C and warmer, it readily goes into stealth at slower city speeds.

Jay

11. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the frigid temps, Does turning A/C on and full recirc keep the cabin warmer or does this still create too much moisture on the windows?

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At -30 C and colder any use of recirculation will almost instantly frost the windows. Running Max Heat at -40 C still requires mitties and a hat.

That's my biggest gripe to date with an otherwise great car: you freeze your a** off at -30 C and colder. There have been numerous posts regarding this too.

13. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"92343)</div>
    There is a report by NREL on preheating of batteries in HEV:

Cooling and Preheating of Batteries in Hybrid Electric Vehicles
    I believe Toyota has done an excellent job in Battery Thermal Management as can be testified by various owners that do not have problem in harsh winters. But saying battery-pack likes the cold is something I find it hard to comprehend. :eek:

Vincent

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vincent1449p\";p=\"92852)</div>
    The chemicals inside definitely favor the cold for longer life. Heat accelerates aging. So cold is always the preference.

As for performance, you made the same assumption most people do. They find out that capacity is reduced and come to the conclusion there isn't enough to fulfill typical operation. But in reality, there is far more of a surplus available that the reduction isn't even detected.

Don't take the generic on-paper info to literally. I have a ton of experience with this with Prius itself in those conditions. It is very obvious that greater motor power is used when I leave my house and climb out of the valley every morning on the way to work.

15. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With the ICE running nonstop, does the battery get used less in these cold conditions as well? Since there'd be no stealth or engine starts, I figure the battery used less until the engine warms up, more like an assist. I've heard reports of batteries being green most of the time in very cold weather, since the ICE is running so much just to make heat. Should the ICE warm up to where it could shut off, by that time the passenger cabin should be warmer and the traction battery as well, no?

I haven't experienced conditions cold enough for this sceanario myself, but does this seem like a reasonable explanation for the good performance in the cold (along with surplus capacity?) I've read NiMH chemistry is less affected by cold than lead acid, and for storage they prefer ~5C, which minimizes their standby loss.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gschoen\";p=\"92991)</div>
    Trust me on this: in winter city traffic with the temps at -25 C or colder, especially down towards -40, the ICE will *never* shut down. For Jan and Feb my battery was almost always fully green.

The vast majority of Prius owners don't live in such bitter cold conditions, so it truly has to be experienced to be believed. I still wish Toyota could run supplemental electric cabin heat off all that excess HV battery charge.

My Prius actually feels *stronger* in extreme cold temps, probably due to the excess charge. With my winter tires on, I have no problem blowing the doors off 4x4's when the light turns green.

17. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"92867)</div>
    I think you have missed my point.

The purpose of that paper is to present the importance of Battery Thermal Management in HEV. Without it, HV batteries will suffer in driveability, fuel economy and life at extreme cold or hot temperatures.

That's why I said Toyota has done a wonderful job in overcoming this limitations.

Vincent