1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cold Weather Performance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Crash, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Crash

Crash Junior Member

I like driving to Northern Quebec in the winter and wonder if my Prius will run at minus 40 degrees, or should I consider renting something else this winter? Any one with experience at these extreme temperatures? Thanks in advance.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For future questions, please use the search function first. There are many threads on this, including one that's currently active.

It will run fine. Jayman is in Winnipeg and runs on Dunlop Graspics. Just throw on a good set of snow tyres and you're set. The traction control is very sensitive to protect the electric motor.

3. Crash

Crash Junior Member

I saw those posts and they were concerned about driving on snow. I'm wondering about really cold temperatures. Every battery operated device I own doesn't work very well when it gets that cold. How cold does it get in Winnipeg?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh. I stand corrected then. Sorry. Oh and welcome to PriusChat!

Well the engine runs pretty much 100% of the time. I do believe Jayman said that the heater is insufficient but it never gets that cold in Vancouver so I can't say anything. Doesn't Winnipeg drop to -40°C on occasions? I mean, it was in the -30s when I was in Edmonton in winter 2003/2004.

Hmm, what else. The battery will stay "fully charged" so to speak more often than none so there isn't a concern with a discharged battery. The computers will take care of themselves.

5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Summary:

The car itself will run fine - no problem at all, however some owners have reported that they find that the heater isn't quite able to keep them as toasty warm as they'd like in -40c weather.

Dave

6. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Crash\";p=\"98515)</div>
    I think you must have missed this post with the same topic:

Cold Weather Performance

That is true because your battery operated device do not have Battery Thermal Mangaement which you will find in Prius.

Vincent

7. Crash

Crash Junior Member

Good Point on the Battery Thermal Management. On my cel phone, GPS and camera, I use inside pockets for thermal management. As long as the battery doesn't get damaged at -40C, I can deal with the lower cabin temperature and engine running.

Also, I block the radiator with some cardboard when I get into really cold temperatures to help keep the engine warmer. When I installed window screening in front of the radiator on the Prius to keep bugs from clogging it, I discovered that with all the cowling and drag-reducing panels, putting something in front of the radiator takes a bit of work.