1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Collecting thoughts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seeh2o, Oct 2, 2006.

1. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I am out of state on vacation and have the opportunity to trade in my 2004 package 3 Prius with 49,000+ miles for a 2006 package 4 (w/back up camera!) with 22,000 miles on it. The original owner bought the 2006 for the tax credit and traded it in for another tax credit this year.

The car is in great condition. Mine, on the other hand, has a karmic bullseye painted on it. I've been hit 3 times (minor dents and scratches, but on metal, not just the bumper) and have had valets scratch the bumper. I will be able to trade it for the same payment. They are asking $24,000, $1,500 less than Blue Book and are offering $17,000 for mine about the right amount for Blue Book. Mine has a 7 yr/75,000 extended warranty. I cannot see any down side to this.

I wasn't planning on trading in my car, I love it, but this one is in pristine condition, still under warranty and hopefully is not karmatically challenged.

Any voices of experience, thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Oct 2 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]326884[/snapback]</div>
    On the surface, that makes two of us.

Most people will not part with something at a loss unless there is a defining motivator. I challenge you to find that motivator.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try to get them to through in an extended warranty. If not don't forget to cancel your extended warranty and get a little money back, then see Troy for another extended warranty for your new one.

4. wtfjr

wtfjr New Member

You are going to pay $7,000 to gain two model years, they look exactly the same, & 20,000 some thousand miles ?
    And you do have an extended warranty on your present car ?
    Sounds like a NO DEAL to me.
    Drive away & save the $$$$.

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't see any downside, and I'm a person who drives a car 10 or 12 years if possible. The only expense you might not have considered is that insurance may be slightly higher on a newer car, but probably not a biggie. I'm always a bit skeptical, I can't imagine trading in a car w/ 22K on it, but that's just me. As always, buyer beware, and good luck with your decision.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Oct 2 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]326884[/snapback]</div>
    But how much longer will you have to be making them? I assume that you are adding a couple years worth of payments. When you finish paying the new loan you'd probably have an older car with more mileage than you would have if you were to wait until your present loan is paid off.

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Keep the 04 in my opinion..... Wait until the 09's to make an upgrade. The 06 really doesn't have anything on the 04.

8. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm with everyone who says "keep it." If the car payment is all that matters to you, then fine, but I always look forward to the day when a car is paid off! With the new car you're just postponing that day.

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First let me ask you what is your goal.

Is your goal to own the car free and clear, or is that not your goal? I ask because personally, I have no problem making a car payment (thats why I traditionally lease), car payments for me are tax deductible, and I like driving something new every 3-4 years. Having a paid off car is not one of my goals. The joys of owning something that is paid off are overshadowed with the negatives of owning something old for me.

If you don't mind having payments all the time, do it. 22k miles is a lot for an 06 though, figure out what the maintenance history has been and get it checked out. If I'm not mistaken, you can also get a 2006 brand new package 4 for $24,000. Even if you can't, make sure the payment wouldn't still be less because of the better interest rates on new car financing vs used.

10. Tony_Min

Tony_Min New Member

My package 3 with 6 miles on it was only $24,000 and I will get the tax back with the tax credit. I wouldn't pay $24,000 for one with 22,000 miles.

11. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony_Min @ Oct 3 2006, 12:21 AM) [snapback]327165[/snapback]</div>
    That is a great point. The package four is like 24,300 brand new.... With a tax credit and without 20+ k miles on it. If you really want to trade up, get an 07 pacage 2 (the equivalent for 24,300 and a free 1700 tax credit..... you come out with a brand new car and a tax credit..... for quite a bit less.

12. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks so much for the comments, though my boyfriend thought I should do it (until the dealership started nickle and dime-ing me) I declined. I checked out the prices of new cars in my area and I could get a brand new one for about $100.00 more. I am going to wait until my extended warranty ends, see how much I owe, and then decide whether I want to trade it in for a new one.

Thanks again!

13. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: I suppose, based on your "wants," you can rationalize many things.

In considering a trade up to a 2007 from my 2004 (w/ NAV), it appears from offers so far that I will absorb about $2,425 "depreciation" based on trading - that's 11.0¢/mile ($110.23/month) considering the $1,575 income tax credit. If I purchase the 2007 outright and sell my 2004 to an individual the "depereication" would be different since in Texas you pay the 6¼% tax on the "difference."

On the up side, I would be getting: 3 year "jump" on year model, side air bags, HID headlights, leather seats, tire pressure monitor, better MFD, updated NAV DVD, new tires, and a re-start on Warranties (I'm approaching the end of my 3 yr/36,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty).

:unsure: :unsure: OOPS!! There I go rationalizing again!! :unsure: :unsure:

It all seems to boil down to what you want to do within your financial capacity.