1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Collision parts: OEM or aftermarket

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by PandaBear, Oct 12, 2016.

1. PandaBear

PandaBear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We got a 14 Prius v two last year and drove 28k miles already. Recently my wife got into a fender bender and the bumper, right headlight, right fender (inner and outer), and the lower bumper reflector got damaged. We have AAA and their recommended body shop (with very good review according to Yelp) said AAA pay for replacement grade parts, which is aftermarket but typically OEM will match the price. I just want to know if anyone has ever tried using aftermarket parts for a v and how is the fit and finish?

Personally I'd prefer used part than aftermarket due to fit and finish on such a new car (used is likely pulled OEM from a totaled car in junkyard anyways), because I've bought aftermarket junk that fade within a few years. I know there is lifetime warranty by the bodyshop, but I'd prefer not to deal with it to begin with.

So far it looks like TYC makes aftermarket Prius v headlight, are they one of the OEM also? What about experience on aftermarket fender, bumper, reflector, etc?

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    YOU have the right to expect all parts to be OEM, you did not buy a car with after market parts. You need to advise the adjuster and the body shop that you want all OEM parts.